Fly Tying
TedderX

Brassie

What hook are you using for a brassie?

The kit I bought uses a size 16, 2x heavy, 1x long, straight shank, sproat bend

I don't think I follow the norm but I use the Mustad C49S in 18 and 20. They seem to work pretty well. I caught a couple of nice trout on them this weekend.

What hook are you using for a brassie?

The kit I bought uses a size 16, 2x heavy, 1x long, straight shank, sproat bend

Those sound fine to start with. Along the way you will get a feel for how you want to broaden out your hook choices. I use a lot of hooks that cross platforms so to speak, doing so to aid in fitting the profile I want to make. But those 16's are as good a place as any to begin tying brassies with. You might want to add some hooks with a bend in them to add variation, maybe in size 18 or 20. The Mustad 49s already mentioned would be pretty conventional for this pattern ( or equivalent in another brand) . They can be tied with a curved or straight shank, size 24-16 would be very typical ( the smaller ones use the extra fine wire).

In smaller sizes, I use a scud hook for the wider gape. Most of mine are #18 or #20.

For a lot of my smaller nymphs I use a #16 TMC 3769. It has the length about the size of an 18 nymph but the hook gap of a 16. Several years ago I was complaining to a local guide that I was losing a lot of my better fish on my small flies. He suggested the 3769. He felt that the larger gap didn't seem to affect the fly's effectiveness. Since then I have used this hook on my small midge and mayfly nymphs and it's worked really well. Another guide for the same stream said he also uses this hook quite extensively.