Fly Tying
flytire

September flies from the vise

Interesting pattern. I take it that it's one clump of hair. Do you start from the tail fibers and wrap up to the head, keeping the hair on top of the shank and trim the butts, or start from the butt ends at the head and work to the tail? Sorry, trying to work this out in my head before sitting down to try it. Thanks for sharing.

I figured the "hackle" was a dubbing loop of the hair palmered forward, then scissored off the bottom.

Some Zoo Cougar influence too?

Roco

Cheers Rocco. I was following a picture. Didn't think of it at the time but now that you mentioned it. Checked the Zoo Cougar pattern by Kelly Galloup and there's a definite resemblance. Going to have to give that one a try too.

Interesting pattern. I take it that it's one clump of hair. Do you start from the tail fibers and wrap up to the head, keeping the hair on top of the shank and trim the butts, or start from the butt ends at the head and work to the tail? Sorry, trying to work this out in my head before sitting down to try it. Thanks for sharing.

I figured the "hackle" was a dubbing loop of the hair palmered forward, then scissored off the bottom.

You may be on to something. After another look, the hackle does match the tail fibers awfully close.

nope

1 bundle of hair

the hair can be tied in either way and its kept on top of the hook shank

i started the hair at the eye

hackle is a golden badger and trimmed off on the bottom

badger_zpsym2bv0i1.jpg

reference

i tied it this way

1 bundle of hair

the hair can be tied in either way and its kept on top of the hook shank

i started the hair at the eye

hackle is a golden badger and trimmed off on the bottom

Thanks Norm. Well gotta say you did a nice job of matching the hackle with the hair. I was starting to wonder how I was going to get those fibers to stand up like and behave like a hackle after getting the body dubbed. Whew!

I'm going with a strong dyed orange hares ear dubbing with a badger hackle and dark natural deer hair tail and head. This should make a cracking October caddis pattern! I need something like the Dyret that will float like a cork to compensate for my rough casting stroke.

chuck

that will make a good october caddis

dont be afraid to change the color of the dubbing and the hackle

Wow! Cream the belly hair color separation is awesome. I imagine the legs soften considerably in the water and give a kicking action when stripped. Nice work.

One of these days, Cream, I am going to pay you to tie me a couple of those little deer hair bugs ... just for display and inspiration.