Fly Tying
Warren_G

Anyone know what this tool is for?

I have no idea what its for, but that didn't stop me from getting both large and small. If its a fly tying tool, I must need it....right?

Fly%20Tying%20Tool.jpeg

Looks like a ceramic bobbin to me.

If it had a wider tube I would say it is a bobbin for materials like chenille or staz that allows you to lay the materials down like it is hackle.

bobbin holder

possibly home made using a cut off hackle plier and a bobbin holder thread tube. ceramic insert

take a photo of the other side of the bag label

large for regular thread spools and small for silk thread spools

Interesting ... never seen one like those. I don't know if I'd like the offset thread tube ... but the spindles look deep enough to hold a spool well.

Here is the other side of the label, as well as a normal role of Uni thread for scale. The small one is too small and must flex really wide to hold it, while the large one is too large and the spool hangs loosely in it. The Falcon Tackle site has no info, and I am very puzzled by its purpose. Thankfully at only about $6 each, I thought it was a safe bet to buy them to see if I could solve the mystery.

Fly%20Tool%202.jpeg

Several things that "jump" out at me.

1) That is definitely NOT a "Ceramic Finger Bowl" as printed on the back.

2) I get plenty of hits for Falcon Tackle Company through other sites selling the products ... but I don't get any hits for the company itself.

3) As I stated earlier ... I don't like the offset tube.

The only "Falcon" company I get a direct hit on, is a rod company ... so maybe it's for wrapping rods, rather than tying flies?

I think it looks cool, but ultimately, also looks awkward or useless. Like flytire said ... "homemade" rather than an actual production model. Where'd you buy them from?

I agree with the others, they seem to be a bobbin, they are bobbins. Don't know about how far the tube is offset from center but I would try them.

I did some searchs for Falcon Tackle and they have all sorts of items but everything I could find was sinkers, items for ice fishing, snaps and swivels, and spoons. Could not find a thing for fly tying.

Cool looking bobbins none the less. I think I would have picked them also just because they are different.

... so maybe it's for wrapping rods, rather than tying flies?

Maybe the loop can be fixed to something on the bench to maintain thread tension while you are turning the rod blank with your hands?

The offset is the real puzzler for me...

warren

could you insert the thread spool onto the large bobbin holder and post a photo to show the offset tube

im wondering about the clearance between the spool rim and the tube

That doent look like it would work...It does say ceramic finger bowl.Maybe supposed to be sold in Colorado???lol

I would guess it is to hang from a gallows or something??? I think it would hurt to have that loop against your wrist???

I can't see how putting a finger through the loop would accomplish anything???

Here you can see how much slop there is with a thread spool loaded. It is so loose that it does not provide any tension, even pops out when you set it down on the table. I am beginning to think that I have been punked by a joke on fly tyers just to see who will buy a useless tool.