Fly Tying
TedderX

Your Favorite Fly

What is your favorite fly and why? Please post a picture!

I have two favorites. The black wooly worm because it was the first fly I tied. The yellow wooly worm because it was the first fly I caught a trout on. Both are proudly displayed on my fly patch on my vest. And, will always be there even if I have to tie new ones (which looks like it need to be soon, lol).

So what's your story?

flies_zpsddoppium.jpg

I made this fly to sink hook point up and to be weed "resistant". Only later did I find out it resembled an already "invented" fly. But my name for it is "The Panfish Attractor". It's my favorite fly because it usually gets hits when nothing else is working.

But for fun, nothing beats a top water hit, so my "Fluffy Tailed Popper" is my second favorite fly.

I don't have a "patch" to hang flies on, so no display flies hanging on a vest.

Not one favorite, but many. Most of them from when I was starting and caught fish, specially if I thought there was no chance they would. Now, any fly that gets them biting again, after they become "acquainted" with the last ones.

I have favorite flies I like to fish but I have no favorite fly I like to display or story to go with them. Wait a minute............ I have two deceivers that my dad tied that I leave sit on the bench. They are not being displayed and I won't ever take them fishing I just like to occasionally look at them and think back a bit.

post-48414-0-48255900-1473097643_thumb.jpeg

I don't really have a favorite fly, just ones I like to fish tend to fish more than others, small clouser like strangers on a size 6 stinger are most common.

I'm like flytire & others, too many I like tying & using, and no stories that I can think of. I fish a lot with Clouser Minnows, but not any specific color all the time.

Poopdeck, nice looking Deceivers! My father wasn't a fly fisherman, but he got me fishing at a very early age & fished with me as often as he could, so I'm with you on thinking back!

BTW, to the OP, in all these years, being primarily a bass & salt angler, I've caught a lot of fish on styles such as Lefty's Deceivers, Clouser Minnows, Seaducers, Bucktail Streamers, various Rabbit Strip patterns, and poppers or Gurglers on the surface. There are others but these have all been good for a long time and most any place I've ever fished. I always carry some of each! wink.png

I have favorite flies I like to fish but I have no favorite fly I like to display or story to go with them. Wait a minute............ I have two deceivers that my dad tied that I leave sit on the bench. They are not being displayed and I won't ever take them fishing I just like to occasionally look at them and think back a bit.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Now that's a good story and beautiful flies!

post-30361-0-31131600-1473884639.jpgFor me it is the fly I am catching trout, Steelhead or salmon on at that time. Too many flies to just have one favorite. I do have a couple that I saved one is a pink woolly bugger my youngest daughter tied and I put it on a clients leader for giggles at the end of the day and he got a 28" brood-stock salmon on it. The other is a tattered crystal meth that I caught the steelhead pictured on.