Fly Tying
Bimini15

Almost done with the hurricane shutters...

The big issue on the island now appears to be the water utilities.

The trees that came down, several thousand, were ripped from the roots. As they fell they tore up the water and sewer lines. Not all pump stations are functioning and there is a no flush request to prevent loading the system. Concerns also about restarting the system to normal pressure, in case that over loads what remains of the system and blows that out.

Did anyone stay out there during all that ?

Amazingly yes, not just on Hilton Head - 100 of 300 residents stayed on Daufuskie Island which has no bridges to any place, only way off is by boat even when times are good.

FlaFly decided to spend more time pursuing other endeavors after the liberal arts degree discussions of a couple of months ago or so.

OK, so is everyone here who was impacted by the storm accounted for? We lost power for a week & internet a few days more. Only damage was one tree that was leaning towards my neighbors garage, but didn't fall. Had it taken down. The storm cost us financially, but nothing we won't recover from. I sincerely hope the rest of you folks made it through as well!

Well, that's a little bit of work, and I'm sure you'd rather be doing that than rebuilding. There was a lot of tree's down around this area, many still down, but I think they got all the power restored & roadways cleared. Some of my neighbors had tree's fall on their houses, but with only minimal damage such as shingles. I don't think anyone had any serious structural damage. If we have to go thru a storm like that, I'll take the inconvenience any day over the damage!

I was actually in Birmingham, AL with my job, and had to drive back in it. That's the 4th hurricane I've driven in (tractor trailer) and so far none have been so bad I couldn't drive. I even delayed my return to try & stay behind it, and my company wanted me to stay put but told me it was my call. My wife & one son, who lives in Charleston was at my house riding it out & I couldn't see me staying there & safe while they could have potentially been in danger. I didn't see any rain or wind until I was almost to Augusta, GA. Turned out the storm wasn't moving as fast as it had been, so I caught it. Also, it wasn't as bad, with the wind as predicted either.

I count my blessings! smile.png

Life here is returning to normal.

The number of trees down across the island is astounding, tens of thousands, yet of Some 19,000 structures, something like 15% suffered damage and only 1.5% had serious structural damage. Which if you could see the roadsides here with vegetation debris piled 8 feet high waiting on FEMA to remove it you have to ask how come so few structures were hit. Oh and the debris is not just small piles it's pretty much the entire roadside on every street I've been down, with breaks only for drivewayss, fire hydrants etc.