Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
L. B. Fly Tyer

How do post images?

Dave, can you take a screencap?

I don't get any of that bracket stuff from SmugMug at all, I type that in here (alternately, you can click the little tree and it'll throw in the tags for you, but I'm much faster on a keyboard than with a mouse on that type of thing).

After hitting share, I get the dialog box. I also get the little window (with the full-res link in it), and a bigger window at the bottom, with the "Photo Only", "HTML", and "BBCode" tabs.

Just above those tabs is a drop down selector for size.

Pick the size of the photo that you wish to share, and selecting that will activate the lower window, filling it with the text for the link, with appropriate markup.

HTML is for website coding. BBCode is for forums like this, BUT...the BBcode it gives you is for a link back to your page on SmugMug (if you were trying to drive traffic back to your site). What you really want is that first, "Photo Only" tab.

But!

With that, as you found out, you only get the text link. What you need to do is use that link, but once you're typing up your post here, surround it with the tags as shown:

[img=PASTE YOUR PHOTO ONLY LINK FROM SMUGMUG HERE]

This tells this site, "Okay, here's a link, but there's a picture at the end of this link...I want you to go get the image and show it in the post." Otherwise, the site just shows whatever text you type.

Well that's clunky. You used to hit Embed Photo, a big drop down box came up with many sizes and next to the size you wanted and for each and every size was a COPY button. You hit the copy button and went and pasted it where ever you wanted it to be. And the photo showed up before you hit the send button at the forum as well. I consider this way broken.

It's just one extra step.

If you want the preview within the forum dialog box, just click the little tree and paste the image URL there. The image will be inserted into the post you're typing.

It's not working anyway because my Copy Paste is getting stuck on the first image I copy paste from Smugmug. I can bring up as many different images as I want to and copy paste them separately and no go, I get the first one over and over. i can change folder, I can go out of smug mug and come back, the copy never clears. I don't have that problem within my own system though or anywhere else for that matter, I copy paste all the time elsewhere.. Pretty soon Smugmug is gonna go bye bye.

It's not working anyway because my Copy Paste is getting stuck on the first image I copy paste from Smugmug. I can bring up as many different images as I want to and copy paste them separately and no go, I get the first one over and over. i can change folder, I can go out of smug mug and come back, the copy never clears. I don't have that problem within my own system though or anywhere else for that matter, I copy paste all the time elsewhere.. Pretty soon Smugmug is gonna go bye bye.

i have no idea what you are talking about

i have one picture in smugmug and it copies and pastes just fine. thats the photo below

bobbin-S.jpg

all i did in smugmug is to right click on the photo and clicked on "copy image address" then i clicked on the image icon above in the tool bar and pasted the address in the box that appears

right%20click_zps2ppritog.jpg

image%20icon_zpsq6q3xevb.jpg

paste%20here_zpswh1ntkeb.jpg

easy peasy

i have no idea what you are talking about

i have one picture in smugmug and it copies and pastes just fine. thats the photo below

all i did in smugmug is to right click on the photo and clicked on "copy image address" then i clicked on the image icon above in the tool bar and pasted the address in the box that appears

paste%20here_zpswh1ntkeb.jpg

easy peasy

Yes Norm, but that didn't take you to the dialogue box where you can select sizes from . In fact it's not even utilizing the features of Smugmug. You're copying and pasting from the image as if not even in Smugmug and that will give you the screen image that is up.

"I'd suggest clearing your internet cache, as that may have a corrupted file in it...maybe one of SmugMug's cookies...and replacing it would give you a fresh start."

Done deal, now I have to go around signing in everywhere, I dumped everything LOL ! I did C+P above from your post without issue anyway. But I'm done for tonight though, tomorrow is another day.

the more i muck around with smugmug the more i dislike it

back to my own comfortable way of resizing and photobucket

+ in this day and age of FREE why would anybody pay a monthly fee to use smugmug?

c ya

the more i muck around with smugmug the more i dislike it

back to my own comfortable way of resizing and photobucket

+ in this day and age of FREE why would anybody pay a monthly fee to use smugmug?

c ya

It was for relatively safe hosting when we ran a wedding/portrait business ( most of my folders at Smugmug say Unlisted on them, you have to have a pass key to enter them, that was for proofing, clients would go there to view pages of their photos ). The annual cost was nothing to speak of but it worked more conveniently then than now LOL ( for our purpose here). If you notice , you can do back end store sales through them etc. And they have several business plans offered as such. It's more geared to that than hosting photos to stick in a forum. But today studios are closing left and right, we got out about 4-5 years ago now. Young women mostly do it today, basically for a day wage and give the files away. They won't be in business long but people are attracted to that and a serious studio can only serve the elite if they can find any.. Just as you just said, "in this day of free".

I'm probably going to be leaving Smugmug myself actually.

smugmug may work for others but i found it too difficult to navigate around in their website. i wasted too much time on that site and i have no intention of selling my photos (theyre not that great anyway)

being completely comfortable with photoscape editing software and photobucket i'll stick with that for many years to come. best of all its free smile.png