Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TedderX

Fly Tying Desk Design

Some of you know I am going to build a top section/cabinet for my current secretary desk. I have abandoned that idea because it is already a beautiful desk and I don't want to ruin it.

In lieu of that, I have designed to design and build my own from scratch.

Currently, I am in just the design process and want to hear from you guys. Specifically, I want to know what features YOU think are imperative, useful, and ingenious design features you like to see in a desk.

One feature I am definitely going to include is a built-in "waste deposit" you see in some desks.

What other things do you want to see in an ideal fly tying desk?

What do you think of this method of storing hackle? I think it's ingenious and would work well.

I have decided on this basic shape, so now I'm interested in the finer details that make the whole desk functional:

fly-tie-01-300_zpsz4ueto8t.jpg

fly-tie-02-300_zpstqa10qrh.jpg

Hook storage is a big issue. I like the box Wapsi has made with thin clear plastic boxes that slide out, but I can find anything similar on the market that is that thin.

I personally prefer to keep my capes and saddles protected for insects in plastic bags and airtight containers. Too expensive to have eaten by a moth or beetles :) thats a nice looking setup though

In relation to Mike's comment, you could simply purchase a prebuilt kitchen wall cabinet for under $100 and spend the time customizing the interior.

I almost agree with bugsy. The desk pictured does not look like an efficient use of space. I do not have a lot of material lying around but as I envision putting my small collection of stuff in that desk all I see is clutter piled up under it, on top of it and around it. I would lose the hutch part and build two towers along the sides. I like out of sight storage and that desk has little.

As for features that I like, I like a modular design. I would build a small portable tying desk to sit right on top and modular tool holders. My tying area is in the basement so sometimes I like to tie at the kitchen table or on the back patio so I like to grab my stuff and go.

I, to, keep my hackle necks in plastic ziplock bags. A tyer friend of mine uses plastic sweater bags with a velcro closure. A rack system to file those would be helpful.

As I recall, the space he had to work with was limited to the width of his secretary desk, the kind without a drawer unit underneath. Unless things have changed, going up was the only option he had other than having storage space away from the desk or under the secretary.

Nice looking piece of furniture. I envy you, wish I could create like that.

One of my concerns would be lighting, as in where it mounted, type, cords etc. .....unless you are in your twenties and can still see, then never mind.

Great start. I agree with protecting capes/saddles (and all other natural materials) in sealable plastic bags.

How about making the back of the upper unit peg board. The back could be made taller for more space, and/or eliminate the top row of drawers. Hanging material packages on peg board keeps them visible, organized and accessible.

How about a solid surface type vise pad or entire desk top to protect the wood.

Agree with Don P; lighting should be a consideration. Good Luck.

Thanks, Bob H

They may be called watchmaker's cases. However, mine have an aluminum base with a clear top.