Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Byron

Knucklehead Vise Stem on Jvice

Hi,

I really enjoy my jvice. The maker, Jay Smit, has come up with what he calls a knucklehead stem which allows for adjusting the jaws and assembly 90 degrees.

If you watch the 1:40 point of this video, you will see the application of this feature on his vise. I have ordered such a stem for my jvice.

Sorry, but you may have to copy and paste this link to youtube into your browser as it doesn't seem to come as a link:

I love that vise., Please don't post anymore more pics or videos of it. I might do something rash and then nobody will get any Christmas presents except me. Would be kinda hard to explain.

I owned the Lawerence Waldron LAW vise.

It was not adjustable for true rotary regardless of the size of hook. It was a beautifully built vise. Almost hated to use it, it was so beautiful. I prefer tying on the jvice

I agree with flytire that he makes a production of the Klinkhammer that is far over done and far more wrapping than necessary IMO. Unlike Norm, I would like to have the feature just because. I'm sure I'd find uses for it but if not it would just be fun to play with. As for how he ties the para base I do the same thing after I do the initial wrap to fly but I just turn the fly down pointed at base of vise for same effect. Probably faster than his system too. The vise I keep looking at and missed a good sale on but may end up with yet is the Stonflo Transformer. Has the ability to be the vise I want for the particular fly I'm tying by switching heads instead of changing vises. Could sell a couple I have now and just use that one forever...or until the next newest thing comes along.

Vic,

Agree. Of course you don't need this vise or the knucklestem to tie any fly. Just demonstrating the versatility. I think Jay would not claim to be a great tier. He is, however, a great vise designer:maker. That wasn't the point of the post. Was just showing the use of this new feature.

By the way, I have a Stonfo Elite vise. Have only tied a few flies on it. Would make you a good deal if interested

Byron

Maybe if I tied a large number of parachutes. Then again that may be the reason I don't tie a large number of parachutes.