Fly Tying
Saltybum

Good Bye EP etc.

Yeah ... no flip flops there. You'll need to broaden your shopping to ... less beauty ... more variety stores. I know that might be asking a lot, but it's a step in the right direction.

I knew the wife going to cosmetology school would pay off for me. I'm going to have her buy some for me at dealer prices, re-package it and rip off all my tying buddies. LOL

Bimini, I've been trying to think of one, but have had no luck. Have any good ones? maybe you'll get a cut of the profit!

I would come up with a good name just to get a PM.

How about SynYak??. (Copyright 2016)(just now)...this stuff reminds me of Yak hair, looks and sizing, which a few years back was about the only thing for huge flies, 10+ inches, and which I like for pike, because it is some tough,critter material

And, I don't need a PM unless you are a Kank distributor and wish to discuss licensing and franchising rights".... just kidding...er maybe not😎😎😎

I would come up with a good name just to get a PM.

How about SynYak??. (Copyright 2016)(just now)...this stuff reminds me of Yak hair, looks and sizing, which a few years back was about the only thing for huge flies, 10+ inches, and which I like for pike, because it is some tough,critter material

And, I don't need a PM unless you are a Kank distributor and wish to discuss licensing and franchising rights".... just kidding...er maybe not😎😎😎

How bout "Kank a Hank...Yak Lives Matter.

How bout "Kank a Hank...Yak Lives Matter.

Like it, Saltybum, you win, I am out.. I have a story about local Yak herd that got into trouble with beef ranchers. They literally just ran through barb wire fences, hair so thick it didn't even faze them. The owners had to build Yak proof fences tho we are a fence them out state. Doubt if anyone would givem them a haircut, unless they are heavily tranquilized. They can be very ornery, if spooked. The wolves and bears have not hurt them much, unlike other domestic stock.

They are quite good eating when correctly BBQ'd, not as good as elk but better than Bison, in my experience.

Some of have been using wig hair for years. The stuff I have is exactly the same as Slinky Fiber or Kinky Fly Fiber. I got what's probably a lifetime supply of 19 colors for around $60 or so. (24" lengths) It blends easily with flash, is easy to taper, and sheds water like a duck. It's also easy to blend various colors to come up with just about any shade in existence. The guys who sell various synthetic hairs are undoubtedly buying the stuff in bulk and repackaging it for the fly tying crowd. There aren't many synthetic materials that are manufactured specifically for the fly tying market - it's just too small. I don't know if the hair in the links below is exactly the same as what I have, but it's worth a shot considering the price. I've never used the silky straight stuff, but the Kanekalon hair in the eBay link appears to be what I use. The hair that comes in a braid seems to be of a slightly different texture than the hair that comes in straight hanks, but it's all usable. There's no need to pay fly shop prices if you're not averse to doing a little digging.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kanekalon-Soft-Jumbo-Braid-100-Fiber-Syntheitc-Braids-Hair-Dreadlock-Extensions-/281720703885?var=&hash=item4197dccb8d:m:mWLMDHsYFXcJyoSgVLtAedQ

http://www.doctoredlocks.com/hair-extensions/braiding-hair/kanekalon-jumbo-braid.html

https://www.amazon.com/Silky-Straight-Kanekalon-Braiding-Extension/dp/B00EQB29SK?th=1

First post on the site here, so my apologies if this has been mentioned before, here or in another thread. I have been super stoked with Congo Hair, water silk, and water mix from http://www.flytyersdungeon.com

Great substitute for EP fibers and their variations for about 2 bucks a hank, and tons of colors. They have some other great products such as mini rubber legs so you can make your own dubbing brushes too. Here are a couple flies tied with the stuff, a couple with dubbing brushes I made with the legs and the Congo Hair (like an EP tarantula brush). Anyways, thought I would mention another good alternative in this thread. That EP stuff is crazy expensive! I don't think the fish care that much!

post-60218-0-84826900-1480482512_thumb.jpg

post-60218-0-11002800-1480482623_thumb.jpg

post-60218-0-82425400-1480482749_thumb.jpg

Very nice flies, love the crab flies&wine or should it be flies&ipa by the first photo.