Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
docjohn

Need help with Hungarian Partridge skin

FYI I was finally able to get a photo off. After seeing it does it change any opinions?

attachicon.gif fatty partridge skin.jpg

If you haven't done anything to the skin yet, don't. Contact Hareline with the problem and see what they want to do about it. If it were from a hunter, ebay seller etc. , it would be a different situation. They have been in the fly materials business for years and years. Mistakes happen, but it shouldn't be on your dime and time to fix the problem. The only thing you should have to do with that skin is decide which feathers to pluck for what pattern you're tying. Partridge has a thin skin and shouldn't have any fat or residue left on it that sticks or can rot over time. I have several Partridge skins and none of them have any issues like that. I skinned and dried a very nice grouse pelt with no issues that flew through my porch screen and window. It wasn't hard at all, and years later the skin is just fine.

Regards,

Mark

I'm with Mark - get hold of the and send that thing back!! If you wanted to use the wing feathers you can't because the tips are broken. There's way to much fat on it and the feathers on the cut edges are all matted.