Fly Tying
carpflyguy

Junk Fly Swap

No, Flat Rock. I appreciate the invite.

Past experiences have convinced me ... I am not "cut out" for swap tying.

I truly hope you have a great swap, and I like watching the forum ... but the participation part isn't for me.

No problem, we chill here. Got to admit, this is a bit of a struggle, getting a bit bored after hitting 4 copies of same pattern but Truly polishing some organization skills. Have 12 of mine done, proof that being "mostly" retired can have advantages. Well, that, and being able to ignore emails, phone calls, assistants, and "real" world distractions from everything not FISHING.

Keep yammering via the keyboard

Hi guys I am brand new around here and this swap thing seems pretty sweet. I'm getting a vice, tools, and materials for Christmas so I don't even have a way to tie yet (Ha) but I was wondering if I could join up. When do we have to send our fly's in? If it is at least a week after Christmas day then I would love to try this out!

Hi guys I am brand new around here and this swap thing seems pretty sweet. I'm getting a vice, tools, and materials for Christmas so I don't even have a way to tie yet (Ha) but I was wondering if I could join up. When do we have to send our fly's in? If it is at least a week after Christmas day then I would love to try this out!

Sure, we'd love to have you. This is a perfect first swap to join.

Couple things-

Flies are due the 10th of January. These patterns are easy to learn, but make sure you have the materials to be able to tie those flies up quickly and get them in before the swap deadline.

Take a look at the pinned posts in the swap section. Just make syre you understand the toe tags and self addressed envelopes.

I'd recommend watching some YouTube videos ahead of time to hwt somw ideas of the basics for flies that you want to tie.

If you have any questions, PM me or ask here!

Flat Rock, nice job! Haven't seen a work quite like that before, but it will be a great addition to the box. I did a set of mop flies so far, but I'll add another set of flies as well if we fill this up

Carpflyguy, a few questions for you!

1) Do I just make however many fly's as there are people in the swap?

2) Where can I find your address to send you the fly's?

3) Do I receive others fly's back in that same box that I used to send you the fly's?

Thanks, I'm very excited to get tying and sharing it with you guys!

Flat Rock, nice job! Haven't seen a work quite like that before, but it will be a great addition to the box. I did a set of mop flies so far, but I'll add another set of flies as well if we fill this up

If you look up Pink Crusader, you will see the inpiration for these. As it gets chewed up it can morph into a mini-wooly bugger, and will hang like a "wacky worm" in still water, under a strike indicator. When wet, the brown worm has a pink underbelly, plenty of motion, and flash. Will guarantee it will catch yellow perch and bass or your money back. Worms have been the winning pattern in the Jackson Hole One Fly fishing contest, so some Rainbows, Browns, and Cutts need to watch out, too... But quite candidly, I cannot wait to see all the others, happy holidays again in January for us. Thanks for organizing the swap!!!

Carpflyguy, a few questions for you!

1) Do I just make however many fly's as there are people in the swap?

2) Where can I find your address to send you the fly's?

3) Do I receive others fly's back in that same box that I used to send you the fly's?

Thanks, I'm very excited to get tying and sharing it with you guys!

G 1, if you search Toe Tags, on this site, you will find excellent instuctions by flytier on mailing in the flies. Carpflyguy will PM the address, etc. when the,swap,fills up. Do not hesitate to ask any questions, we can be a bunch of wisenheimers ... but Everybody is here to help each other learn. Welcome to FTF and this swap. Carry On...

Thanks Idaho RC, you're in! List updated

Thanks Flat rock for the background, that's very cool! I can see why a fly like that would do so well, that's exactly what trout want!

Ginornous- Flat Rock covered most of it. I will send you a PM in the morning with some more details just to make sure everything's clear. I know there's a lot of moving parts and the first swap or two can be a little tricky to get set.

If no one has jumped on a mop fly and you're looking for more, I'll knock out a set. I've got a cream color that's very grub-looking that has been lights out all fall.

If no one has jumped on a mop fly and you're looking for more, I'll knock out a set. I've got a cream color that's very grub-looking that has been lights out all fall.

You're in! I've done a set of mops, but there are so many variations that this will work perfectly. Thanks for joining

Mine are chartreuse with a bright green beadhead...guess we'll really be mopping up the waters next year. I also will have a set of pink blob flies.

I'm looking to make a cream colored mop with a black bead and a buggy dubbing collar or a soft hackle collar. Trying to mimic a grub.