Fly Tying
Ed Gallop

What Is A "Professional" Fly Tier

I politely argued in the classroom with the professor who also was my supervisor. He said his point was an academic definition and mine was a public definition. If on an exam we all should answer with the academic definition. This was the first professor I've had that seemed to enjoy contradiction. I completed my teaching agreement (for a professor on sabbatical) and moved away. I don't think he was critical of me because he provided a wonderful reference letter and sent me available university teaching jobs until I told him I was enjoying retirement too much to apply. A civil argument is better than quitting the class.

I taught law enforcement at Southern Illinois University in the 80s and early 90s after police retirement. I recall taking a graduate course where a professor claimed police officers were not professionals. He said there were several requirements to be a professional and police officers met all but one, "Autonomy". That meant no supervision or external control. I argued that he, a college professor, would not be a professional because he answers to someone, even if tenured.

Would have been a very short course for me. I'd have told the "professor" to get bent. I was taught early on that in any course of events, a person is a "Professional" if OTHER people are depending on the abilities of that person for their safety and well being over time.

But Mike, how are going to pointlessly argue if all agree on the point? biggrin.png

laugh.png ... oh, I am sure this crowd will find a way. I think I've been guilty of it more than once.

Pros don't accidentally drop every other thing they handle into the trash bin on the floor between their legs. It's a hurdle I just can't get over.

I work hard to maintain my amateur status.

So that you can compete in the tying olympics? Where are they being held this next year?

J

So that you can compete in the tying olympics? Where are they being held this next year?

J

Nova Scotia

J

Nova Scotia

I vote we steer this to the Groupies of Fly Tying....

Possibly a more pertinent and meaningful discussion of 'professionals'...

Per, Hunter... "when the going gets weird the weird turn professional... " - From a guy who rode with both Hell's Angels and Richard M. Nixon....

J

Nova Scotia

Are you licensed to operate this bus?

I don't know what Nova Scotian fly tying groupies would be like. Not sure I want to find out.

J

Could be like the few in Wyoming, mostly dressed in Carharts and Snowmobile boots, with brown and gold polar fleece accents

J

Nova Scotia

Are you licensed to operate this bus?

No just hijacking it and driving from one wreck to another

I don't know what Nova Scotian fly tying groupies would be like. Not sure I want to find out.

J

Could be like the few in Wyoming, mostly dressed in Carharts and Snowmobile boots, with brown and gold polar fleece accents

Sounds like the ones here in Edmonton. Throw in some cleavage tattoos and it's bang on.

J

For Ed Gallop, you're a better man than me... after 22 years in law enforcement (during the height of the party down here in south Florida, 1973-1995, and all the BS that goes with advancing in rank until the only way you appear in a courtroom is as a defendant...) the one thing I'd never attempt is teaching any police course (either entry level, in-service, or the kind of stuff that's more politics than real world stuff...).

If asked I would say that police work is far more of an apprenticeship than a profession - although I'm probably in the distinct minority... If it were a profession I'd have been able to apply as a sergeant, lieutenant, or whatever to any other similar outfit - but that's not only not the case - it never will be...

Now you can see why I quickly went back to fishing for a living, fly tying, and other pursuits the moment I was able to all those years ago...

At least you guys have groupies

Yes, we do, in our fantasy world, where we become zillionaires and major celebrities because of our Professional tying acumen....