Fly Tying

Featured Fly - Tying the Shrimpzoid

Tying the Shrimpziod

written by Mattzoid

I am very excited about our newest featured fly. It is one of the most detailed step by step instructions that I have ever seen and it is truly an innovative pattern. I can see this fly being adapted to a wide variety of fishing applications including a crayfish pattern for freshwater but I believe its intended purpose is a shrimp imitation used for Steelhead in the PNW.

Please help me in thanking Mattzoid for giving us permission to use his inspiring step by step instructions.

BTW this is the first article published using my new article software. cool.gif Be warned there are over 50 step by step photos so it may take a few minutes to download.

Tying the Shrimpzoid

user posted image

Hi Mattzoid,

From concept to completion your fly is truly creative and amazing. If someone put one of those in a bowl of bouillabaisse I’d be coughing feathers, it really looks like seafood. I enjoyed the step by step, seeing a new innovative fly pattern presented with such clear tying instructions is rare, thank you! Your fly pattern is awesome.

Graham

Thank you for the kind words. I am truly humbled. Ever since I came up with this pattern a month ago, I have been fishing the dye out of it. Our rivers are now at summer time lows and it looks like we’ll be having the worst drought in years. I’ve already started tying them to smaller hooks requiring me to change the tie just so it will ride up right. The original flies you see in the beginning of this thread are 3.5 inches long and weigh about 4 grams. I’m trying to get them at 2 inches and 2 grams right now. Also, I am not able to use sink tips, but a floating line with enough leader will still get pretty deep. I’m also working on placement of the hook. The trailer or stinger hook may be to far back. I am getting these brown racing stripes in my waders from these freight train like hits during the swing. But I believe they are hitting what they interpret as the meat of the tail. To alleviate this, I am using a shorter stinger or leaving the hook intact and not use a stinger. I’ve enclosed a photo of this fly. This photo is what I had planned on using in the saltwater off the west coast here chasing Salmon. This fly is constantly changing as I adapt to changing conditions in our rivers. Saltwater will add a whole other dimension this spring. Looking forward to dragging it deep along a rocky beach and see what pops up. When I get some more tied up, I will post some pics.

Matt

post-2-1109485294.jpg

Hey Matzoid, I love it when guys push the envelope of tying to new levels, thanks ever so much for sharing your information. I wish you many more brown racing stripes.

Take care, Graham

WOW, bugeyes.gif that is a great pattern and step by step instructions as well. I would definitly like to try some of those Shrimpziods here for browns in the salt. I bet it would be a killer pattern. headbang.gif