Fly Tying
bear-kodiak

Parachute help

Hi all : Need the collective opinion from you all. How and with what

would you post this fly in order to apply hackle ? Thank you and happy holidays....Jim

post-1566-0-69005900-1482595974_thumb.jpg

post-1566-0-94123500-1482595992_thumb.jpg

If there were no stem I would use some heavy thread (maybe Kevlar) in a gallows setup and then, after winding the hackle, pull the thread forward paraloop style and tye down at the head.

I believe that he wants to place the hackle on the underside of the hook.

I agree with rockworm that a paraloop/hackle stacker deal tied on the underside of the shank.

then tie it like a fan wing style fly and use the stem as the wing post (like i mentioned above)

post_zpsq53ucdse.jpg

and the same thing with duck quill wings

tie in post material then pull it down instead of pulling it up

pa3.jpg

A parachute/paraloop hybrid could get that look.

Turn the hook upside down

Tie in a thin but long yarn post, but don't wrap thread up the post

Tie in the hackle paraloop style (don't tie the stem up the post)

Wrap a few turns of hackle up then back down the post, paraloop style. A gallows tool would help

Tie off the hackle on the hook shank

Separate the post into two strands and pull them apart and down to compress the hackle.

Put a small drop of superglue between the spread post.

After the glue dries, cut the post off very close.

I think the yarn could bond better with the glue and hold the hackle but you could try normal paraloop post material.

I am with FIN ... but even more ... I think the OP wants to know who to tie the fly in the picture. That's not HIS fly, that he wants to add to ... that IS the fly he wants to tie.

How do you put that parachute on the bottom, so it looks like legs?

There are a couple of methods to achieve this look. One is to use a very short post of elk/deer hair, I believe the fly in the picture is one of Weims pattern which uses this idea. Then you could also do the hackle with the parachute tool using Kevlar or mono, but more of the John Goddard style when he was working with the "upside down dun"

the hackle stacker/paraloop method has already been mentioned

Well to me the video is different from a paraloop or hackle stacker. The Chauncy Lively & Roy Christy style pattern, as shown by Cammista, results in a fly that looks like the OP's image, much more than a straight paraloop. The method of tying down the loop, winding the hackle inside the loop,then pulling the loop tight, results in a thin, flat disk of hackle, much like a parachute.

Here's one in our fly pattern DB that shows the style. I'm not sure if flyslinger is active, but maybe he or TCTrout can clear this up.

img4b037caa6669e.jpg

Hackle stacker/paraloop results in a "bush" of hackle, sort of a hemi-sphere, not a disk.

One of ScottP's lovely paraloops as shown in his SBS.

heklastparaloopx.jpg

Well to me the video is different from a paraloop or hackle stacker. The Chauncy Lively & Roy Christy style pattern, as shown by Cammista, results in a fly that looks like the OP's image, much more than a straight paraloop. The method of tying down the loop, winding the hackle inside the loop,then pulling the loop tight, results in a thin, flat disk of hackle, much like a parachute.

Here's one in our fly DB by flyslinger that shows the style. I'm not sure if flyslinger is active, but maybe he or TCTrout can clear this up.

img4b037caa6669e.jpg

Hackle stacker/paraloop results in a "bush" of hackle, sort of a hemi-sphere, not a disk.

heklastparaloopx.jpg

Here's one in our fly DB by flyslinger that shows the style. I'm not sure if flyslinger is active, but maybe he or TCTrout can clear this up.

img4b037caa6669e.jpg

heklastparaloopx.jpg

Hello Bruce : I can not open your link , would really like to see it as the fly I posted is one of Chauncy Livel's......jim

'

Hello Bruce : I can not open your link , would really like to see it as the fly I posted is one of Chauncy Livel's......jim

Try this one: http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern9316.html
It's the flytyingforum pattern database info page for that fly. It does not describe the tying process.

Could you see the youtube video by Tim Cammista? That shows the technique.