Fly Tying
Beadheads#1

Wool, the lost art

Read an article, I believe it was in Fly Rod & Reel about tying wool flies and how they have been almost forgotten in recent years. Low and behold I visited my local taxidermist and found some roving (raw, right out of the Rockies) wool, it still has the briars and brambles in it. Because of its natural lanolin properties unwashed and unscrubbed is better. Was going to try some dry patterns. Anyone have another good source on the net for some instruction or recipe?

I've also had the good fortune of inheriting a large assortment of dyed wool from a tier whose tying days are long past...I'd love to hear some thoughts on good applications. Thus far I've been limited to red and orange butts on wooly worms.

May not be exactly what your looking for but I spin wool for sculpin patterns and tadpole patterns for bass...It isn't that different than spinning deer hair...actually easier.

Hi Beadheads#1,

Besides using wool for woolhead flies (sculpins, etc.) Royce Dam reviews in Chapter 2 of his book the Practical FLY TIER how to use carding brushes to blend wool dubbing. Bob Lay sells dyed wool if you are interested. He doesn't advertise but you can reach him at [email protected]. It tie a lot of my steelhead streamers using a wool wing and like the way it reacts in the water. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

group

By far the guy you want to talk to about wool and using wool in your tying is Royce Dam of Wisconsin.

He is a "Buz" award winner and a really nice guy.

He has several DVD's out that sell for about $20.00 and are very detailed.

You can call him at:

1-414-476-4599

I have no ties what-so-ever to his products. I just like his work.

tidbit

I have sent some flies to Graham for the realistic challenge, one is a spun wool dragon fly nymph it consists of spinning wool on the shank clipped to a wide taper, when Graham receives these flies and posts them for me I will post the patterns, here is another one http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act...6;s&showid=1003, you can tie just about anything with wool, if you have the pateintce to spin it on a hook.