Fly Tying
Decisions

Looking for a 9wt reel that won't break the bank.

Hello peoples.

I'm kinda thinking about my annual Spring fishing trip to Thunder Bay and decided to start making some flies for the northerns we catch on bait casting outfits. This year my goal is to get them on a fly. I found a 9' 9wt fly rod, it is made by White River Classic. Now I am looking for a reel to work with this.

Any suggestions?

Forgot this important tidbit of info... I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks, Ron...

The options are near endless.

What's your top end budget and what do you really want to spend?

And what are the target fish?

I guess my budget would be in the 100.00 range, if that would buy a decent reel. I would think something with a reliable drag would be essential.

The Northern Pike we catch are in the 40 - 50 inch range.

imagejpeg_326.jpgimagejpeg_250.jpg

I like cabelas RLS+ reels. Machined aluminum bodies with good drags. I have one caveat though. I have never caught pike that large so maybe the drags suck when it comes to Canadian pike fishing.

The RLS can be had for under a Hundred on sale and about 120 full price. I like them cause I can buy 2 on sale for half the price of what I consider an equal reel and spare spool of a higher end name.

Fish Creek fly reel on ebay. I have the 5/6 and very impressed with the quality. $80 fully machined reel.

There's a Lamson wls on Sierra trading post for 149$ marked down from 260 probably a coupon code to knock a bit more off of it.

Have a backup Pflueger Supreme 1890 fly reel that won't hold enough 30lb backing with a #12 weight fly line for tarpon, but should have plenty capacity for a #9/10 weight.

Lamson Liquid. The 3 pack is a particularly good deal but out of your price range. Has a saltwater drag (same as higher end Lamsons) that is more than enough for Northerns.

If I was looking for a reel in that size, i too would seriously consider the Redington Behemoth. Redington has a good warranty and it would probably maintain a good resale value compared to cheaper reels if you ever wanted to sell it.

eric

fresno, ca.