Fly Tying
ColonelMel

Panfish Swap With A Twist

Today's mail brought sponge spiders by vcrider and poppers from djh262; both looking good. Private message with addy sent, Kudu.

Carrot Nymphs by wmw4 arrived today. Looks to me like there are going to be some mighty happy bluegill... that is until they realize they are hooked.

Col Mel

I looked up the fly you are tying. It looks very interesting. What is the tail material? Btw, the extra I sent you with rubber legs pointed up by the beadchain (I call mr wiggler) is excellent when the shellcracker and bream are bedding. I'm most interested in the fly you have chosen and the predator. Hope you enjoyed the beautiful weekend we just had. I flyfished the Cumberland River yesterday about 6 miles down from Wolfcreek dam but failed to catch any. Didn't really care though it was so nice and the boat ran well which is always a plus after it's set a couple of months.

Bertgwen, addy sent in pm.

Kudu, I took it because I couldn't find it in the fff data base. I ordered some foam tubes to make it, but not being that familiar with tubes the ones I ordered were a bit too large. So I used a leather punch and cut the cylinders out of flip flops. They are made of closed foam, so they don't get water logged and sink, and you can get a pair for a dollar in any color you want! They just don't always cut as neatly as store bought cylinders.

I saw you were in Kentucky as well, but we're still several hours away from each other.

Kudu, Mr. Wiggler may be a Kentucky original fly per your post in the Down Home Pride swap. I searched hard online but did not call any KY flyshops. Using same searching was able to find a Nebraska pattern, at least a preponderance of the evidence suggests, but Byron will have to be the judge. Post of photos of Mr. Wigggler would be great- maybe I missed if in here already.

Col Mel

Are the foam pieces joined by fly line? I couldn't tell.

FRN mr wiggler is a panfish Charlie variant that I came up with if you can call it that anyway it fishes well.

I'm not sure if the pic is going to post or not... just going to try. I found a pattern for the Grinchworm on the web. It called for using backing line to connect the foam pieces. But I didn't have any without unreeling my fly line. So I substituted needlepoint thread. It's multi-stranded and comes in a million colors. I bought a bag of it at a yardsale real cheap.

post-21322-0-86588300-1487640820_thumb.jpg

I got the last set of flies in today and have divided them up. They will go out in tomorrow's mail.

Mike West sent 2 divers for each tier. For those of you who sent extras, much appreciated. I have gotten my neighbor, a life long catfish fisherman, into fly fishing. I loaned him my old rod until he bought his own, and have been tying flies for him. I will share some of the extras with him, if it's okay with you guys. I've already told him about this site and he plans to join as soon as he gets a fly tying kit.

Great bunch of flies, and everything went without a wrinkle! Thanks, guys!

Flies arrived. Thanks guys. Like them. CM where did you find the recipe for the fly you tied. I'd like to see it.

Kudu, it was in the list I selected, but all I could find towards a pattern was an excerpt from a book that was for sale on a website. The book is

Modern Terrestrials: Tying & Fishing the World's Most Effective Patterns

By Rick Takahashi, Jerry Hubka

Here's the link to it:

https://books.google.com/books?id=3N6UBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA183&lpg=PA183&dq=pattern+j%27s+grinchworm&source=bl&ots=apHBhCG13T&sig=AmCfHp37-3dtkhYMp98lzjKh3zA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1z_b6ornSAhXl5oMKHTQzB-0Q6AEIJzAC#v=onepage&q=pattern%20j's%20grinchworm&f=false

That's all I could find. Which is why I took it.... didn't want someone else to have to search like that!