Fly Tying

I hadda get in on the pigboat thing

Lookin good Mark, I see your gearing up for spring. When is the earliest you start fishing for bass? Usually by mid April I am ready to go headbang.gif

Mid April. Is your water still to hard to put a fly down? The ice was gone on our ponds last weekend. Granted there is a thin layer back today, but I should have my first Smallie of 2005 in a couple weeks.

The 16 inch fish in my Avatar was caught April 16th 2004. That was about my third week of fishing last year. I was going after Green Sunfish in the shallows when that Smallie hit the sponge spider. It was great fun on the 4 wt outfit.

Ken S.

ya i have to weight till the last saturday of june to get out for bass thats our regs up here in ontario in my division. hopeing to get a big bass like the one in my avatar on a fly. that one was caught while spin fishing. but it was almost dead in our boat and it woudlnt revive so we had to keep it. it was 7 lbs even.

Will, mid-April is about the time here too. Ice-out in a "normal" year can be by the beginning of April and that's a great time to chase Pike and Crappie. The Bass start biting well not long after.

I thought I'd put up a better pig boat pic on the assumption that it might actually be good to be able to SEE what's in the picture! dunno.gif

post-23-1109356682.jpg

Looking nice. I see you are using fewer strands of rubber/silicone skirt. I assume that is to get the fly a bit deeper quicker? I know Tom Nixon on the opriganl pattern used 56 strands of rubber hackle, but down here where Tom first made the pattern, you usually have tosih pretty shallow.

Mark Delaney

Nah, nothing so insightful. I just don't have all that much rubber and was too far from payday to pick up more! That's why I added the marabou tail, to compensate. Plus I think it has the qualities of a bugger combined with a Bass jig. I put on what I believe were enough legs to provide a good "shimmy", and the hackle is saddle on the Black, White and Olive 'boats so that will add to the shimmy. I used a stiffer hackle onthe brown one cause it'll represent Craw legs.

Incidently, I didn't put eyes on any and I put weedguards on the Black and Olive because those I know I'll be dragging through the weeds. The Brown is more for Smallies and I expect to fish them around rocks and gravel more, and the White one being a minnow imitation will be used more in open water so no guard on it either.

The next warmwater fly I wanna do is the 56%er which I learned about from your site Mark. I looks like a good fly!

By the way, warmwater fly fisher has a good step by step on the CPB with some nice bio info on Tom Nixon.

http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/flymonth/FOTM052002.htm

I've seen .56%er's tied from #2 down to #16. they seem to work on bass, bluegill and trout. Not bad for a fly that started just a s bluegill fly.

Mark Delaney