Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Whitetail FlyTying Supplies

I took a trip down to Toledo yesterday to hit Chris Helms shop for all the hard to find stuff no one around here carries and boy am i glad i did!

If you ever get around Toledo be sure to stop by for the biggest selection of top notch materials you've ever seen bugeyes.gif

I got out of there spending just under $240 which was suprising seeing how many goodies there was to buy. He has (Paul missed the last name) from England comming on the 16th & 17th doing a Atlantic salmon tying class that i hope to get in if someone drops out or better yet i get squeezed in whistling1.gif 2 members of a club i'm in were the last 2 to fill the list for Saturdays class.

For all of you out of towners call Chris for a catalog 800-579-5549 as he only sells out of his basement or telephone orders.He has everything and i mean everything!

I hope to make it back there real soon headbang.gif

Brent.

I had the pleasure to meet Chris and watch him tie a couple months ago in Tn. Super great guy and is just awesome with deer hair. He sure makes it look easy.

For those that are unaware, Chris sold his business and will NOT be the guy on the other end of the phone after the second week in March 2014.

I have known Chris for a handful of years and have purchased the majority of my fly tying materials from him. As far as merchants go, I rank him in the top 1% I have ever dealt with. Besides the fact he is a great guy with a terrific sense of humor and a wealth of knowledge & experience; he would always source whatever I needed if he didn’t have it in stock, provide me with good pricing, free samples, terrific turnaround and great advice if I asked him for it. To say I will miss dealing with him is an understatement. I plan to place one last order next week even if I don’t need anything.

His business will continue, I assume under the same name but the new owners will have mighty big shoes to fill. Besides fishing, Chris plans to fill his spare time working on a book about tying with hair which I expect will be worth waiting for.

So very bitter sweet to hear that. I love knowing he'll be spending his time doing something he loves but hate to know I can't call him with questions any more. Bummer.

Steve

So, does that mean he will no longer be selling materials out of his basement? I am a little confused from the above posts as to whether or not he is just closing the store and still selling out of his basement or if he is quitting business entirely.

He sold the business to someone else which means that the stuff in his basement is getting moved to another location, and HE is retiring.

As per his agreement of sale he also won't be selling anything for the forseeable future.

I just can't say enough good things about Chris. I've been getting supplies/materials from him for over 15 years. Just one of if not the best in the industry. His knowledge and personality will be missed greatly.

I've met Chris a few times when he has been over here in the UK. All I will add is to wish him a long and happy retirement. One of the true gents of our sport.

The tier Brent mentioned will be Paul Little. If you can get there go! You will not see more care taken in the tying of a fly anywhere. Be prepared to spend a long time watching.

Cheers,

C.