Fly Tying

Dubbing loop using Angel Hair

Anyone ever use Angel hair in a dubbing loop? What's the best way to get it ready before putting it in a clip with out half of it ending up on my lap dunno.gif

I want to dub a whole streamer body using it.

Thanks for any help! Brent.

Well, for one thing, find your nearest trash can...deposit the clip! I don't use, or need it. What are you trying to tie, specifically? You said streamer. Are you trying to tie something like my sparkleminnow? If so I can send you the tying instructions. What you are asking about sounds exactly like what I do with my pattern. The step involving the dubbing loop is rather involved to explain. It's simple enough to actually do, but takes a long time to explain. I'm going to work on scanning pics of the tying steps to my computer tonight.

WC- I just picked up some new stuff from Great Lakes Fly Fishing Company and it's call "UV Polar Ice Chenelle". It has fibers that are 1" long fibers and a the rope is clear and is awesome. I was shown some new streamer patterns that he was using white, pearl and a multicolor red and blue. I wish my kids did not break my camera or I would take a picture of the stuff for better understanding.

Brent are you going to the show at Macomb CC? If so I will bring a couple of the flies.

Hope this helps.

Dan

I've tied up 4 already and will take pic's when the wife gets home at 10. I left the camera in the ride.

The bugger type fly has a marabou tail with a few strands of crystal flash then the angel hair in a dubbing loop palmered all the way to the bead head.The hard part is getting 2" strands in the loop with out wasting half of the material because of all the different lengths the material has at the ends.

I cut a bunch off even then stick it in a clip to hold it before cutting it off again for a total length of 2". I repeat then end up with a handfull of scrap that is from 4" to 1/4" long LOL!

I guess it's just the nature of the material.

Dan I'll for sure be at the show first thing on Saturday and stay until about 4pm if there's enough to keep me interested.

Thanks guys!

Brent.

user posted image

Puting the fiber into the loop

user posted image

Positioning the fibers prior to spining, note aprox 2/3 of fiber is on one side of loop, this allows the loop to be more of a hackel

user posted image

After spinning the loop i take a brush and brush the longer fibers on one side of the loop

user posted image

wound on hook

Brett, is this series of pic what your trying to do?

I hope this was some help.

Thanks for the pics Trout.

I'll try a few that way with dubbing loop acting as a tail and leaving out the marabou. I'm haveing a hard time with the material being such different lenghts right out of the package.I have to start by cutting it off at the zip strap for a even bunch of the crap to put in the clip. What i need is a big 6" chip clip! laugh.gif laugh.gif wallbash.gif

What material were you using? Looked like antron.

Thanks Brent.

Its a material called polar hair, its similar to craft fur.

user posted image

Were you trying to palmer the loop up the entire length of the body? If you were, you might want to use a series of dobbing loops , rather than one long unmanagable loop.

This is how the loop looks when you spin it up. You don't want too much material in the loop, as it will look clumpy, not to mention wasting material.

You want to wrap this over an underbody of the same material. The underbody helps cover the hook, and lead and gives you a smooth, even base to wrap on.

post-2-1109302493.jpg

Here's a few pic's. The second one has no marabou.

user posted image

user posted image

I'll get some good lighting soon these pics are killing me. laugh.gif

Brent.

SMinnow awesome tie!!!Now that's what i'm talking headbang.gif

To get more than 1 pic up just do another [ IMG ]the pics propertys[ /IMG ] but no spaces in any of it like i did.let me know if you need more help with it.

Years ago I bought a device called a dubbing block. Not sure but I think Davy Wotton sold them. Basically a block of hard wood 4" long x 1.5" wide x 3/4". Close to one end is a thin brass rod sticking up and then bent towards that end. Below the post, carved or scribed somehow into the wood, is a long thin notch that extends all the way to the other end of the block. There is another small brass post on the side of the block. I wrap my thread around the top post then pull the thread towards me and let it rest inside the notch, then I place the material to be dubbed ontop of the block, it lays flat becasue the thread is inside the wood, then make a loop and re-secure at the top, put a dubbing twister on the bottom of the loop, then carefully tilt the block up while twisting. I know it sounds complicated but you can spin virtually anything into a dubbing loop with this block. I can take pics if you want.

Graham