Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nathan

Is it frog season yet?

My new Frog pattern I've been playing with..Tied on a 4/0 double frog hurt..Can't wait to give it a work out!..Nathan

post-1135-0-52213200-1486065079_thumb.jpg

Looks good, Nathan. If you get to fish that, please try taking some pictures (better yet, video) of it in the water.

Thanks for the positive comments guys..Mikechell..I'll try to get some pictures when we have some open water again...Had a cold front come through and froze us up again...

Hatchet Jack...I'll check on that hook for you tonight...Nate

I attach 035 lead only on the bottom of the shank in U shape..then anything that absorbs water..( like the legs) is tied in on the bottom too...Nathan

That's a nice frog. Since I usually fish with a 6 wgt one tied on a 4/0 hook is a bit heavy though I do have some 4/0 double hooks lying around. I also have some size 2 which would work better with a 6 wgt. Did you make the legs or are they the pre-made ones? I just took a closer look and that answered my other question as to whether the foam would give enough to set the hook. How thick is the foam? One of the guys I fish with is obsessed with frogs though he uses tackle from the dark side. I got into a discussion in the fresh water section on another board with a guy from Thailand who uses frog imitations to fish for snakeheads there. He posted a picture of the lures he makes and there were a couple that looked like they could be converted to fly fishing using foam instead of plastic. Here's the picture of them he posted. Might be able to get some additional ideas from them.

post-309-0-81962200-1486223539_thumb.jpg

I make these out of champagne corks thru wired with welding wire and a 2/0 double hook. Chuck it with an 8wt. I'm not a fan of realistic frog legs as they just don't move enough.

post-48414-0-46453700-1486230447_thumb.jpg

Very nice poopdeck..I really like the "old fashion feel" to yours...as a wooden lure builder I have a love for wood...I'd love to see a return of fly rod "lures"...Nate