Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Fly Challenge #3

i'll be getting in on this one, i'm gonna make something up, can you use juncle cock nail feathers for eyes, i ain't got any of those dumbells for eyes, Bud

I'm having trouble picturing this bent hook your are describing. Would you be able to put up a picture of the fly with the eye's tied to the hook but before the hair and stuff get's tied in. On the finished fly, I can't see the bend in the hook.

I tie clousers on the Daiichi 1270 (multi-use curved hook, York bend, Straight-eye, 3X long) hooks. With the hook mounted normally (point down), I tie the barbell eyes on "top". Then when it is in the water the hook point is up and I don't hang up on the bottom as often as I do with say Woolly Buggers.

I just can't picture how this bend changes the way the fly comes through the water. My mind is stuck on eyes riding down in the water. Now I'm thinking too hard. I am wondering why my damselfly with the bead-chain eyes on "top" does not ride upside down (like a clouser).

Its tied just like a regular clouser except the hook is bent:

user posted image

I got this style from this fly:

user posted image

I like the way it looks and rides. If you add some stiff mono as a lower, hidden wing, then I believe it'll be pretty weedless too.

QUOTE (fishyfranky @ Feb 25 2005, 09:19 AM)
SH, here's a better pic fresh from tank testing. Its easier to see that the eyes are below the shank and because of the bend, the bite/point rides low:

I like it!

Here a some of mine. The little one in the middle is about 1" in length. The eyes are the smallest dumbbells I've ever found and I can't find anymore! They're smaller than what's listed as "micro" and this Clouser kills panfish. The bigger Chart/White Clouser is Angel Hair and is my "Go-To" Clouser.

post-2-1109355760.jpg

QUOTE (fishyfranky @ Feb 25 2005, 08:19 AM)
SH, here's a better pic fresh from tank testing. Its easier to see that the eyes are below the shank and because of the bend, the bite/point rides low:

Thanks for posting the picture. I went back and looked at your previous posting. My bad. I read where you said "point rides low" and misunderstood thinking the point was down. I went back and looked at the picture again and see that the point is up, but I now understand what you meant when you said the point rides low. I should have looked more carefully the first time.

It is a really good looking fly. When I first glanced at it, in the color you have tied I thought it could resemble a mouse. Do you buy the hooks bent or are you bending them yourself.

Ken S.

Here is an example of what most of mine look like.

user posted image

I like to use craft fur, or other synthetic materials and flashes instead of buck tail. I also like Arctic Fox for many of the same reasons that Will mentioned however I find that they degrade after use much quicker than synthetics. Just my personal opinion though, I am sure they all produce.

Cheers,

Nick

I love the looks of that Nick headbang.gif After seeing that fly I think i'll tie another with craft fur.That is a sweet fly!

Brent.

Bud, bead chain though not as heavy will work, the J.C. is a great idea but will not allow the fly to act like a "Clouser". This fly was designed to swim toward bottom on pauses when being stripped. If you want to use J.C. Its your choice and I would like to see how it turns out.

ok, don't laugh guys because this is the first fly i tie in this pattern or style, be gentle, hehehe, i used deer hair for the black and red you see on the fly, the green is icelantic sheep and i added a little polar bear in the middle for a little shine, the kicker is the eyes, its beads from an antique mardi gras neckles my wife had stashed and i snuck into her closet and swiped it, she hasn't found out yet but i'm in for it when she does, the beads were white so i put a drop of loons red hard head lacqer for eyes on them, Bud

p.s. i wet the fly to see how it would look in the water so thats why it looks wet

Now don't everybody puke at once. This is a tried and true version that catches fish very well, at least in the saltwater flats around Sarasota.

God only knows why. Can't imagine what it looks like to seatrout and redfish, but it does the job.

I call it my Psychedelic Pink Clouser. White, purple and pink bucktail. Fl Pink thread.

post-2-1109620977.jpg

Shrimpy, maybe ! But down here when they're swimming around they are a light tan/cream color.

Only go pinkish when boiled !!

Yee haw !!

cheers.gif