Fly Tying
bowmike

TINY BUGGERS ARGH!!

What size do you normally tie? Im with rstaight, I rarely tie much larger then like 6 or 8, but most of mine are in the 10-14 range.

In size 10, marabou doesn't work too well. Chickabou, if you can find it, is better. What I usually use is a pinch of rabbit fur. There was an article, a few years back, that suggested using rabbit on size 10 and 12. I gave it a try and found I liked it. Also, you use small chenille (or knitting yarn) for the body, and, of course a smaller hackle.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with what you tied (well, maybe there is, but I can't see it), but you'll get better action in the water using more supple materials.

McFly I normally tie 12 to 16. Have tied 22 and 24 Adams with wings.

I have also tie size 32 midge just to say I did it. When I tied those I wore 2.75 reading glasses, my fishing hat with my flip focals, and was looking through a desk magnifier. That was 8 or so years ago. Don't know if I'll ever attempt that again.

For trout, I usually tie my buggers in size 16 and 18. Otherwise, size 6 or 8. I have tied them as small as size 20 and as large as size 1, 4XL. I'm not sure I could tie a size 32(tiemco hook) anymore. The two I tied to fish were both taken by two small sunfish that got to keep them as prizes. The smallest I tie now is size 20 on a Tiemco 2 XS hook.

I tie size 12 and 14 buggers too and I use rabbit for the tail as well for those size buggers.. I grab a few fibers and cut them away from a zonker strip. Size 10 buggers are fairly standard for me, not exceptionally small or large. I tie them up to size 6 but have tied size 4 too.. I tie Woolly Worms down to to size 18 or I used to ( have less use for those these days).

McFly I normally tie 12 to 16. Have tied 22 and 24 Adams with wings.

I have also tie size 32 midge just to say I did it. When I tied those I wore 2.75 reading glasses, my fishing hat with my flip focals, and was looking through a desk magnifier. That was 8 or so years ago. Don't know if I'll ever attempt that again.

Oh I'm sorry if I came across sounding rude. It was not my intention. I was simply just asking. Wasn't trying to say anything bad. In fact you did a great job, but the way you said it made me think you hadn't tied buggers that size. I was only curious because I tie smaller usually and rarely tie or fish a larger bugger. Just more finding out what you tie that's all.

Tied up these size 10 black nose dace buggers last night. NOT FUN!!

Why do you call them black nose daces? They are nice ties. I never used dumbbell eyes for my buggers.

Tied up these size 10 black nose dace buggers last night. NOT FUN!!

Why do you call them black nose daces? They are nice ties. I never used dumbbell eyes for my buggers.

I'd say it's the color scheme closely resembling a natural black nose dace(a minnow). Not a nod to the fly by the same name that doesn't really resemble the natural very closely.