Fly Tying
flytire

Best Fly Tying Vise for the Money – Reviews 2017

"Editor's Choice: Griffin Odyssey Spider"

No argument from me ... except

The only addition ... "Cam model". It's what I have, and I have no complaints. Definitely a great vise for the money.

Hard to argue with the spider for the price point. Unsure if they are left hand friendly. Would agree with mikechell on cam model.

Funny review. They don't review all models, just a select few, then comment that the Renzetti's only con is its old technology! In the sport of fly fishing where the reel is the simplest yet somehow most expensive fishing apparatus possible, they complain a vise is using old technology......

The Odyssey can model would be nice so would mongoose with the cam jaws it is a bit more money though. I use an Anvil atlas and have been happy with it, I would probably go with the Montana mongoose if I could do it again as it comes with more accessories for roughly the same price.

^^^yep

fishfinderpro.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

The first sentence of the review sets the tone, showing author's attention to detail. Why trust anything else in this review?

Weilenmann and Salzburg's article may be dated but it gives you a nice methodology to make your own assessment which is a totally, subjective decision based on your own values. Since Hans and Bruce published this, I have purchased 4 vises and been happy with each, all serving a different but important (to me) tying need.

flytire, thanks for posting and sparking up interest in a topic that is always going to be useful to newer tiers and members of FTF...

I can't tell you how many 1000's of flies I tied on a Thompson model "B" vise then I upgraded to a DynaKing Professional with every gadget they make for it... I've been tying on that for for 25+ years...it's pure pleasure. I'm sending it back soon though to be cleaned and check out and then selling all of it to finance a Predator vise.

All a vise has to do is hold a hook and not slip..and even it slips you can deal with it. But

let's be realistic at $100 some hook sizes might slip or the maching isn't art work, start spending $300+ and the hook better not slip and the maching should be top notch.

You can buy a KIA or a Lamborghini they will both take you from point "A" to point "B"