Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FreshH20

Pontoon Frame or Frameless

I am thinking about a pontoon, this may already be on the forum. So as far as I can tell the only drawback to the frame is the weight. But, it seems like the week link with the frameless is the oar connections. Anyone have any feedback on either? Also, is there just one kick ass brand out there that I may be missing. Any information would be helpful.

Kick ass brand is Guideline! I have 2 of their floattubes! First one was their 2nd model! You sit higher, also has a iner & outer blader! Only model on the market i hear! Wanted to buy a pontoon last year, Guideline just bought out the same float tube but with ores! Got one & love it! Easy & fast to get around! Not gonna get it out of the shed to take pics in Scandinavian winter, but you can google it!

I have owned both framed and frameless pontoons.

With the framed boat, you sit higher, have more leverage with the oars and have lots of places to attach stuff. I think they are a better choice for significant moving water, say above class II. The disadvantages are weight, transport and assembly time.

The frameless boat breaks down into a much smaller package, is lighter to carry, and is much quicker to assemble and get on the water, You sit lower, which makes it easier to propel with fins in still water but you get wetter in moving water. I currently have an Outcast Stealth Pro which I love for stillwater and mild moving water.

The Stealth Pro seems to be getting a lot of attention from various sources. I do not intend to be on any water above class II. I guided raft trips on white water so I do realize how a good day can go bad. The set up time may be the clincher. I don't have the storage room to keep it set-up and ready to go. So it would have to be taken down each time, or leave it in the living room. Wife would love it.

I modified this outcast pontoon without altering the original manufacturing. I can asemble it riverside in an easy going ten minutes. Its very stable, I sit higher and have the option of standing to cast. I can step on and off of it with ease. I wear waders and boots so i can hop off and fish riffles. I use this to fish small rivers and large streams for smallmouth bass.

post-59203-0-71904100-1488135367_thumb.jpg

post-59203-0-05005400-1488135391_thumb.jpg

I have a similar Outcast, and like it, but made several modification...It is currently buried in a deep snow drift. Maybe I can show some pictures after the Spring thaw, usually close to June 22 :0

When I was considering this type of thing. I was wisely advised that for moving water you don't want your legs or feet dangling in the water. Pontoons are are for moving water and float tubes for still water.

I have no place to store a framed pontoon, but all my fishing buddies seem to have them. In order to go on a float with them I had to bet something. A couple of years ago, Dave Scadden introduced his frameless boats. After a lot of hesitation, I went for the Outlaw Predator. The price is a little daunting, but it's a great boat, and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Deflated it is about the size of an average suitcase. Inflated, it's a full 8' boat. I was concerned about the oar towers, but they were well thought out, and I found that I could keep up with the framed 'toons on open water. The Predator is rated for up to class 4 whitewater, and weighs less than 20 pounds.

Check out the lineup on http://www.davescaddenpaddlesports.com/

(no financial interests, etc., etc.)

Well I did it, pulled the trigger, "frameless Renegade 30 pounds, from Dave Scadden" I met Dave and got to see his boats and try it. You can actually stand up and fish on still water with this thing. I'll let you all know if I go in for an involuntary swim. Thanks for all your help.

Well I did it, pulled the trigger, "frameless Renegade 30 pounds, from Dave Scadden" I met Dave and got to see his boats and try it. You can actually stand up and fish on still water with this thing. I'll let you all know if I go in for an involuntary swim. Thanks for all your help.

Hope you Rock It, figuratively, of course!

I was looking (and drooling) at the Renegade at the Fly Fishing Show in Atlanta. That solid "floor" is a major improvement over the predator and other inflatables. The SUP technology makes a big difference. I wish Dave offered a trade in program....

I've often thought about a inflatable and moving out from my canoes. I like the assault xx, may have to look harder at my budget.

2 of my friends have the Outcast Stealthpro, and they both like them very much. They are happy. I have a Watermaster 9' Kodiak. I think it's a better raft, but it is more expensive. I think if each of my buddies had to do it again, they would have made the same purchase they did, the outcast stealthpro. I like the Watermaster.

I think I would definitely go frameless.

Bob