Fly Tying
DrippingSprings330

Good hook for use in tying cork body poppers

Yep I've got some much uglier poppers, not naturally skilled at painting at all, this is one reason most of mine are deer hair.

Nice job on the poppers, not my specialty but I love to learn, and I do like to use them on summer nights! I have tied foam but not cork I'll keep watching your posts for ideas thanks.

Thanks mikechellmfor flipping the pics so they could be seen. The frog pattern got a green tail and yellow hackle. Put to barbed yellow silli,legs through body to add movement. Glitter on blue popper was made with hobby store glitter and acrylic paint in soda can bottom cut off about an inch high. The aluminum does not stick to,paint and UpI can wipe out one color and start on the next. I use epoxy spray clear coat before Imdress the back end of the poppers. Use a bur bit at lowest rpm on my electric drill not a Dremel. User Dremel with sanding wheel also at lowest rpm so as not to expose too many pits and holes in body. I am sanding down balsa square dowel to round by putting dowel after whittling one end in electric drill using coarse grit sandpaper. Slow going but pretty good results. Cuttin 36 inch dowels into 12 inch pieces for ease of working with it. Long dowels start to wobble more than 12 inch pieces.

Hope to be able to keep pattern copies of Pecks that I got from Mr. Don Davis at BreamBugs.

I like to use straight shank hooks for my poppers and sliders. I don't like messing with cork. I do use the Eagle Claw Aberdeen style crappie hooks both for my poppers and also for Woolly Buggers. Eagle Claw does make them in bronze color. I use the same method that Rick does for attaching the body to the hook. I'll put of coat of super glue on the shank and wrap the thread over it then build a thread body so that when I slide the body on there's a bit of resistance. I tie in the tail and hackle. Coat the shank with thick slower curing super glue and slide the body on. Before the body comes in contact with the hackle I clean up any excess glue being pushed by the body.

When I first started tying poppers, I wanted pencil poppers. I bought a bunch of the cricket hooks in various sizes to make them. Despite thin wire they're pretty tough. I've got a couple I saved that survived three dozen snapper blues that I caught on them. Here's a couple that I tied on them.

attachicon.gifOrange Popper.jpg

attachicon.gifGoose Quill Popper- Yellow.jpg

You should send me these, one can never have too many poppers!

Thanks mikechellmfor flipping the pics so they could be seen. The frog pattern got a green tail and yellow hackle. Put to barbed yellow silli,legs through body to add movement. Glitter on blue popper was made with hobby store glitter and acrylic paint in soda can bottom cut off about an inch high. The aluminum does not stick to,paint and UpI can wipe out one color and start on the next. I use epoxy spray clear coat before Imdress the back end of the poppers. Use a bur bit at lowest rpm on my electric drill not a Dremel. User Dremel with sanding wheel also at lowest rpm so as not to expose too many pits and holes in body. I am sanding down balsa square dowel to round by putting dowel after whittling one end in electric drill using coarse grit sandpaper. Slow going but pretty good results. Cuttin 36 inch dowels into 12 inch pieces for ease of working with it. Long dowels start to wobble more than 12 inch pieces.

Hope to be able to keep pattern copies of Pecks that I got from Mr. Don Davis at BreamBugs.attachicon.gifIMG_0237.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0237.JPG

I have trouble keeping my basswood and balsa blocks fastened in my Mini-lathe. Any suggestions or tricks to keep em spinning true?

Also, would like to hook some foam cylinders to my cordless drill or dremel, but when I do, the foam plug does not spin for long and shaft quickly becomes the only rotating part of the operation when I put the emery board to it. Any fixes recommended?