Fly Tying
breambuster

Crappie Jigs Anyone?

Well, you don't cast them with a fly rod, so I hope no one gets upset that I'm asking. Can anyone give me some information about tying crappie jigs. I saw one the other day that a fellow had 'homebrewed.' It had a chenille body and maribou body with 2 hackle tips for a kind of tail that worked back and forth in the water. But I didn't get a good enough look at it to see the proportions and what order stuff was tied in. So how do you finish it off when everything else is tied?

Thanks

BB

I cast crappie jigs with a fly rod... unsure.gif A little hard though sometimes. For proportions and what not I just tie it like a wooly bugger on a jig head just cause it's easy and I don't think the crappie care about how pretty it actually looks. I think if they can see it, and there's movement they'll strike it (for the most part).

I use 1/100 and 1/80 oz jigs suspended under a strike indicatior quite often. The best mix I have found is either white marabou or fish fuzz and a little pearl flash secured with red thread.

I go with what Live2Fish does. In addition, an absolute KILLER jig is a tuft of grey rabbit from a Zonker strip over a tuft of White rabbit from a zonker strip. Clip the fur from the skin and tie on with maybe a little rainbow Angel Hair (or not) and it's a killer.

I carry mostly 1/100's and find that a selection including the one I just mentioned, and Black hair on a Gold hook and Black hair on a Silver hook (jig hooks I'm talking) covers most situations.

I discovered after a lotta trial and error over tha past two years that sometimes it does make a difference with a Black jig if you're usign a Gold or Silver hook. Pretty frustrating 'til I realized it!

Our jigs must look very much alike luvinbluegills. Try a little grey or cream under the black on those jigs. I use the same combo on the zonker hair as well and the white bass seem to love it!