Fly Tying
FlyTieDad

It's a sickness really.

Something must be wrong with my brain.

When I read this article and saw the picture all I could think about was, "Well, the wings and tail feathers look pretty good still, wonder how many flies you could get off that."

Yikes!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/turkey-suv-crash-indiana_us_58dcc9dde4b0e6ac70926487?9ze4mxxtp6cg14i&

FlyTieDad

I live in Indiana and I see road kill all the time. Reagular reports of cars and dear meeting. But a turkey? Rare.

But it is nice to know that I'm not the only sick bastard.

Petting the neighbor kids pet rabbit my first thought is, What nice zonker strips.

I live in Kansas. Where I live there is another town 25 miles from me to the southwest. The HIway to that town constantly has dead turkey on it. Actually the town itself has an over population of turkey in it. I've visited this town in the spring when the turkey start to bunch up and it is crazy. There will be a flocks of turkeys in a persons back yard, and I mean some will have fifty turkey in their yard. You can drive around the north side of town and see hundreds of the stupid things. Hundreds. You have to stop all the time to let them cross the streets. They roost on peoples houses. The town, Hutchinson Kansas. There is a video on you tube, Turkeys on KS hwy 61, Hutchinson. That's the hiway I'm talking about. It only shows seven in the video, but the way they gather on the road like this is sooooooo common. Drive that hiway at dawn or dusk, you better be ready!!! I'd be willing to bet you CAN'T drive that hiway WITHOUT seeing a flock of turkey. It's that bad. Or good, if you like turkey. These are a couple of pics from the web of hiway 61. Even the town I live in has turkey that come into the west side of town. Central Kansas is turkey utopia! Rio Grand and Eastern turkey, plus hybrids. I have more turkey feathers then I can use in six lifetimes..LOL.. I've had my windshield totaled by pheasant before, but never a turkey. Yet.

post-19822-0-68202800-1490881707_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-02308600-1490881719_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-75340000-1490881733_thumb.jpg

Turkeys have this way of flying at windshield height by the way and they can pretty well take it out. We have quite a lot of turkeys here in SE Ma. and on Cape Cod.

Could have been worse. I've lived in Maine, where cars occasionally meet moose head on. The realtor who sold us our house told me that a bull once plowed into the side of his car while he was driving along a back road. (the realtor was doing the driving, not the moose) When the realtor pulled over at the general store to check the damage, one of the dudes hanging out there ran inside, grabbed a paper bag, came back out, and started picking chunks of moose hair out of the wreckage. I certainly don't have to tell you guys what the hair collector's hobby was.

Could have been worse. I've lived in Maine, where cars occasionally meet moose head on. The realtor who sold us our house told me that a bull once plowed into the side of his car while he was driving along a back road. (the realtor was doing the driving, not the moose) When the realtor pulled over at the general store to check the damage, one of the dudes hanging out there ran inside, grabbed a paper bag, came back out, and started picking chunks of moose hair out of the wreckage. I certainly don't have to tell you guys what the hair collector's hobby was.

HAHAHAHA!! Hey Peterjay! Lets make a deal, some of my Kansas turkey for some Maine moose.

My Great-Grand Mother use to talk about turkeys doing that...The problem was they chose to do it to rattle-snakes also.

Had a potential client that wanted to sue because a turkey came through her front windshield just like that. Problem being she was doing about 85 mph. Hurt her pretty badly. I declined.

My Great-Grand Mother use to talk about turkeys doing that...The problem was they chose to do it to rattle-snakes also.

Personally, I am not aware of rattlesnake materials that should be incorporated into a fly pattern...

Wait, rattles??? UV resin??? Saltydog, tie one up with which we can fish, or scare tourists....

Carry ON

The only turkeys we have here drive the cars.

Approaching a give way junction in Helmsdale the other day, I couldn't continue as there were two cars stopped side by side in the middle of the road, windows down and the women driving chatting away. Eventually the one on the other side of the road pulls forward, leaving the car in front of me blocking my side of the junction. The driver gets out of the car, then walks across the road to the store opposite. Leaving the car right in the middle of the junction, still running!

She didn't have any feathers, but she had the brains of a turkey.

Cheers,

C.