Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WdyCoachmen

Rainbow Warrior

Hey everyone,

I tied some Rainbow Warriors for a buddy of mine, size 16 with an appropriate sized brass rainbow bead on it. But, then I found some purple peacock in my supplies. Has anyone tried making a body out of peacock herl instead? (Without any flashabou until I tie in the wingcasing.) Or, am I just defeating too much of the attraction of the fly by replacing the body with peacock herl? I thought it might be an interesting wrinkle to the fly.

Thoughts, opinions, judgements are welcome.

Wdy

It wouldn't be a rainbow warrior but give it a try

I have tied disco Midges with a thorax of different colored peacock

You know what??? Before i die i would love to hear a solid scientific explanation as to why it is that Trout love it over any other material. The only thing that works better is power bait...and i know why that works. But i have never understood why wrapped pea-cock hearl draws them...i just found it does.

I use (to be able to) tie #22 with just a few wraps of hearl and a grizzle hackle. I landed my largest brookie on one of those...almost 4lbs.

I got nothing to lose. If I catch something on them, I will tell my friends they do not work to keep them to myself. Hahahahah!!!

Thanks,

Wdy

You know what??? Before i die i would love to hear a solid scientific explanation as to why it is that Trout love it over any other material. The only thing that works better is power bait...and i know why that works. But i have never understood why wrapped pea-cock hearl draws them...i just found it does.

I use (to be able to) tie #22 with just a few wraps of hearl and a grizzle hackle. I landed my largest brookie on one of those...almost 4lbs.

Dr. V, sent you a Private Message about meeting up to photograph your secret fly pattern... Get back to me when you can

Hey everyone,

I tied some Rainbow Warriors for a buddy of mine, size 16 with an appropriate sized brass rainbow bead on it. But, then I found some purple peacock in my supplies. Has anyone tried making a body out of peacock herl instead? (Without any flashabou until I tie in the wingcasing.) Or, am I just defeating too much of the attraction of the fly by replacing the body with peacock herl? I thought it might be an interesting wrinkle to the fly.

Thoughts, opinions, judgements are welcome.

Wdy

Rainbow Warriors do not have brass rainbow beads...here is the recipe and it is the same one that Lance Egan first came up with:

YCdnpbQ.jpg

*note who tied it... laugh.png

IMHO, dyed peacock, for an abdomen works much better for Caddis patterns rather than Mayflies or Midges...but if you are using quality dyed purple peacock eyes from Spirit River, give it a shot. However. a Rainbow Warrior variant it won't be...

PT/TB

IMG-20170517-WA0004_zpssghfyd7u.jpg?t=14

Hook: TMC 2457 #14-20
Bead: Silver Tungsten, sized to hook (I ran out of silver tungsten beads so substituted lucent red tung beads)
Thread: 8/0 Red
Tail: Pheasant Tail Fibers
Abdomen: Pearl Tinsel, medium
Wingcase: Stub End of Pearl Tinsel from abdomen
Thorax: Wapsi SowScud Dubbing, Rainbow
Size 24 at ElevenMile Canyon sunday May 14 th. Smoked 'em
(I ain't no bait fisherman but I'm trying to post the photo)