Fly Tying
KevinP

First Try at a realistic

I'm new to tying and fairly new to the board. I've been checking out this realistic board and saw the spider thread and I thought I would give it a try.

Tying realistics sure takes some time huh? biggrin.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Hey Kevin, Cool looking spider! Nice tying. Today while checking the timer box for my outdoor lighting I found inside a huge black widow spider. I took lots of pictures from different angles. Maybe this would be a good one for next months Challenge #3? I havent tried tying a spider yet, looks like fun.

Graham

Hi Kevin,

That's a beauty....well....for a spider laugh.gif

Thanks for sharing it with us & keep up the great work!

Nick

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Moskito--actually this was my first try. I just got lucky biggrin.gif My second try looked terrible biggrin.gif .

The body of the fly is deer hair wrapped with thread and coated with head cement then colored with permanent markers. The legs are just different size mono fishing line.

I guess it would float with the deer hair body. I'm sure the legs would probably poke through the surface though. I haven't tried it on the water yet though. Durability would be a problem with the legs being glued together. I am going to tie some up with just single size mono legs (which should eliminate the durability problem) and try em on the water.

My question would be just how effective this pattern would be? Are spiders enough of a food source for trout (or any other fish species) to be effective? I just don't think I could fish a pattern like this with very much confidence with other insects being more numerous and higher up the list on a fish's diet.

What do you guys think?

Nice fly, The river I fish has several typer of spiders and have seen them eaten. If you could get one like that to float I think it would create a perfect silouette of a real spider. I know warmwater fish would gobble something like that either surface or subsurface. When I first saw the spider in the flytyer mag I thought it was cool but how fishable would it be. I then thought that dragged behind a surface popper for bass it could only improve your chances.

The real spiders I have seen on the trout river stood on top of the water and floated even when killed with an oar. You have heard the saying show them something new. I think it would be cool to land a decent fish on a pattern like that.