Fly Tying
dflanagan

Carp craic!

Some people are already sending in flies. Don't change your setup for me. Thanks for offering, but I certainly don't want to inconvenience anyone or make it a pain. I'll catch the next one. Enjoy and I'll be watching for the finished products!

Mine will be going in the either tomorrow or Tuesday. They should get there by the 15th. Thanks for hosting!

Mine actually got in the mail this morning. Post Office said that they would be there Monday. Once again thanks for hosting David!

Thanks. I chose that pattern because I hate using peacock hurl and it requires a good bit. I'm way more comfortable with it now, so if nothing else I learned a lot.

Vicente, your flies showed up today. Great looking fly...can't wait to give it a shot.

The carp here are spawning like crazy. Gonna be a little while before they're catchable on the fly. Tried a bit yesterday but I would have had better luck just scooping them out with my hands. They were right on the bank and even splashed me a couple times as I stood watching them.

dflanagan, you think carp fight hard hooked in the mouth, just try turning one hooked in the dorsal fin. Just say'in.

Yep, I've accidentally snagged them with crank baits while bass fishing. It's definitely a chore to get them in that way.

I walked down and was throwing a Little George tail spinner off the mouth of the Baptism River flowing into Lake Superior one fall. First cast I landed a nice 12# still bright Chinook Salmon. Put that on stringer and next cast I hooked something BIG I couldn't control. Long, slow runs and hard to turn. Figured from the fight it had to be a BIG lake trout. I'm thinking laker at 20# plus when I got it closer and the hook popped out and all I got was a big swirl in the water. Very next cast I was into another huge fish. Played that one for several minutes and that hook popped out. Reeled in my bait and there on the hook point was bronze scale the size of a silver dollar and the mystery was answered. A big school of carp had moved up the shore from Duluth and I had snagged one. By this time it was getting dark and took my salmon home to smoke and wished I would have landed one of the carp since they are great smoked fish from water like Lake Superior.