Fly Tying
caloosa bug

(No fly zone) Non fly caught fish pictures

Pops sent me this pic the other day from 17-18 years ago. Fyi the limit was 2 then, and the big one was released. Also, I now know not to hold the big ones like that.

post-59266-0-42715900-1510779420_thumb.jpg

Cbug, you seem a little jumpy about keeping fish. I like fresh fish. Eat up and enjoy some legally caught fresh fish free of any guilt.

Haha, I hear you poop. No guilt here. I've just been jumped before about holding over-slot fish incorrectly. I also didn't want to be accused of keeping illegal fish..which the one in the last pic clearly was, even back then. My parents would have skinned me alive.

My kids love eating fish as much as I do. Especially snook. You won't see me releasing a legal snook during season.

Now, bass or bluegill are another story. As long as I have some in the freezer, and no fish fries coming up...they usually get released.

post-59266-0-87517100-1510796770_thumb.jpg

Finally, with my week's vacation halfway over, I got to do some fishing today. It was probably August the last time I was out on Okeechobee and boy has it changed.

The main target was speckled perch, but I was really looking forward to throwing some new flies from the Christmas swap. Last night I thought I was going to be alone today, so I rigged 2 fly rods, 2 baitcasters, and about 6 ultra lights, and a couple cane poles. I was going to be ready for anything, and had a plan on where I wanted to go.

This morning I was picking up minnows at the marina and ran into a local guide I've known for a while. He gave me some confirmation I was going to the right area. Leaving there, my wife's step dad calls and asked what I was up to, knowing I planned on fishing and I ask him to tag along.

At the boat ramp a crisp, cool breeze was blowing, and I decided with all the gear I had , to leave the fly rods in the truck. We took off shivering in the 50 deg. haze uncertain if the lake was going to be too rough to access. It doesn't take much to churn up the waves on the big o. By the time we reached open water the fog was too thick to see anything, but the waves were manageable. I normally carry a GPS, but in my hurry this morning I forgot it. I don't really need it on the lake, but I like to mark spots and trails. Well we started catching specks immediately, and when the fog cleared,I wasn't where I thought I was.

Turned out to be a great day, and brought home 15 over 10 in. Hopefully I'll get back out before returning to work Tuesday, and toss some flies.

post-59266-0-04436900-1514515959_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-47740900-1514515970_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-53660900-1514515982_thumb.jpg

Nice specs! Are they already bedding down there, or do you normally catch them along the pads down there? Ours are in open water usually until around February

Thanks..Yes, they have been bedding for a month or so and start slowing down usually around mid February. We generally do really good during the day in the grass, then as night falls most fish are caught out in the open water channels.

CBug-I'm looking forward to getting back down that way and killing em' again for a 3rd year!Bringing some spinners and casters next time!

Same place. Even better results this time. 25 over 10", with a couple over 14.

post-59266-0-88526300-1516508193_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-48239500-1516508215_thumb.jpg

Grrrrrrrrrr ... this is NOT the time for me to be away from home !!!

Crappie bite is on (nice fish, caloosa) ... the American Shad should be running up the St. Johns River (utyer, you got any, yet?) ... oh, woe is me !!!

Nice specks Coloosa! I got out on Friday and the bite was slow, as it has been for the past week or so. These freezing temps have made it a bit tough. Managed only 8 specks, some nice sized though.