a bit off topic...

knock yourself out...

enjoy your wonderful tool...

DamascusJaws...

unnecessary ?

absolutely !

F70A1232_zps6eb4d7f1.jpg

F70A2060_zps6f8c4fcc.jpg

This thread is one of the many reasons I DO save money tying my own flies, when so many people swear you don't.

My vise cost a little over $100.00 when I bought it a while back. The vise I had before that was the $30.00 Supreme. It lasted for about 30 years ... I expect this one to last at least as long. I'll probably be dead before it would need to be replaced.

So ... for MUCH less than the price of a fancy vise, I am tying flies to my heart's content.

Your main purpose in tying flies is to save money. That's understood; you're always making a point of it. That's fine, but it's not the reason most of us tie flies. You glorify your opinion which sounds like you think those of us who spend lots of money on expensive vises are utter fools. I think you're so invested in your reasons you fail to see the point of view of others who don't see it your way. It seems we're talking another language.

Now you've posted a basically off-topic post boasting on how you've saved money. For someone thinking about investing in a $$$ vise, saving money is not the reason they tie. I see absolutely no reason for bragging about how you tied on a cheap vise for 30 years. What's the point?

I think it is useful to give the wide audience of this type of forum a balanced view.

Can you tie perfectly usable flies on a budget? Yes

Does an expensive vice make you a better tier? No

I brought my jvice as I wanted a vice that would 100% last me till I drop and I believe this will. I chose it over a peak or anvil or stonfo as I like the idea of supporting the individual business person and not buying mass produced.

Well stated...

THANK YOU !

F70A3163_zpsjr1tlyvt.jpg

Two reasons why you should never try to teach a pig to sing...

1. It wastes your time...

and...

2. It annoys the pig...

the same goes for drunks' and fools' and crazy people...

I am also a vice junkie,,, have several of each brand,,, Renzetti, Dyna-King, Norvise and HMH.

Having tried the J-Vise and LAW design at friends,,, I find them rather uncomfortable to use.

Being right handed, I like to rest my left hand on the vise body when assembling materials,,, these designs require the left hand to be unsupported and hang in space above the vise jaws.

Beautiful craftsmanship but not very user friendly.

Regards,

FK

This is exactly why everyone should try their hardest to test drive a vice before laying down the mullah. I find my left hand sits very well on the top of the vice and my fingers sit perfectly to hold materials or assist.

Two reasons why you should never try to teach a pig to sing...

1. It wastes your time...

and...

2. It annoys the pig...

the same goes for drunks' and fools' and crazy people...

Most drunks I know like to sing ...even if they do sound like pigs.

Most drunks I know like to sing ...even if they do sound like pigs.

The more one drinks, the better one sounds... and beer goggles never lie... [NOT!] wink.png

They don't call it "loud mouth soup" for nothin'...!

re: Jvise hand rest...

Peronally,while waiting for inspiration or the next application, I've found comfort and NO issues resting my left hand in that "J-crook"...

'same for the Law...

Different stokes for different folks...

'always nice to take a test ride before using your DiscoverCard...

A GOOD tool will disappear in your hand...

A CRAPPY tool will ALWAYS remind you that it's there...

F70A0672.jpg

So ... for MUCH less than the price of a fancy vise, I am tying flies to my heart's content.

Your main purpose in tying flies is to save money. That's understood; you're always making a point of it. That's fine, but it's not the reason most of us tie flies. Nor do I actually berate anyone for their reasons for tying flies. But we do have new members on here all the time. One of the topics that comes up, often, is expensive tools and materials. I just like to insert here and there, that it does not require money to tie good looking, usable flies.

You glorify your opinion which sounds like you think those of us who spend lots of money on expensive vises are utter fools.

"Utter" fools, no. Not even fools, for most of you. If you have the money to spend, spend it how ever you wish. But there is truth to the saying, "A fool and his money are soon parted." If you're just getting into the hobby, for whatever reason, there is NO need to dump money into expensive things that don't do anything less expensive options do.

I think you're so invested in your reasons you fail to see the point of view of others who don't see it your way.

I see your point of view just fine ... and I understand it. But I've also seen people who are so far in debt they'll NEVER be free of it.

It seems we're talking another language. Speaking of "points of view" ... can you not see mine?

Now you've posted a basically off-topic post boasting on how you've saved money. For someone thinking about investing in a $$$ vise, saving money is not the reason they tie. I see absolutely no reason for bragging about how you tied on a cheap vise for 30 years. What's the point?

Point already made in the above statements.

Since the original poster "RJD2017" was asking his question on his first post, there's no reason to assume he can actually afford a J-Vise. He could be another kid trying to get "promotional" material to convince his parents THIS is the only vise he can possibly tie on.

I don't see an opinion about less expensive alternatives as being that far off topic.

I appreciate the feedback, it will help me toward making a decision about purchasing or not. Actually, I have approximately twenty years of tying experience and owned multiple vises during that timeframe. I was an active member, with a different username, on this site about 5 years ago. I recently, after a few years away, decided to get back into the hobby.

RJD2017 I had a chance to tie on the J Vise when I was at the fly tying symposium last November. I think you will love this vise. On the cost end I think if this vise's production ever comes to an end the one's left in the market will soar in price. I do not think this vise will ever lose value. Enjoy and tie some beauties !

Thanks Pete. I really enjoy you fly and vise photos. By the way I agree that enjoyment is priceless!

re: Jvise hand rest...

Peronally,while waiting for inspiration or the next application, I've found comfort and NO issues resting my left hand in that "J-crook"...

'same for the Law...

I had a chance to lay hands on a Jvice at a tying show a couple of years ago. It is about the only rotary vise I've used that has enough room to rest my hand where I want it. I haven't bought one yet, due to cost and the 10mm shaft, but it is on my wish list.

Picked these up from Jay at the 2016 Somerset fly tying expo. Not sure which version they are. Slightly different design than his other photos. I use them in the conventional manner when I need a good heavy hackle pliers, but Jay says you can also mount them on your vise stem by inserting the stem in the opening between the spring and the two halves of the pliers. Says it's for when you need another hand to hold material out of the way. Pretty clever guy.

IMG_5362_zpsbgbd3fxc.jpg

how much was this little gem?