Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chris_NH

Bulk marabou sources?

I'm looking for a bulk source of marabou. I go through a lot of 2 particular colors (tan and gray) and the best I can find is about $8/ounce plus shipping. Anyone know a decent source for blood quill or similar bugger tail marabou?

Chris;

If you haven't already, you might look at LurePartsonline.com / Angler's Workshop in Springfield Illinois.

This is my source for bulk 1 oz pkgs of Marabou, only for a lack of Canadian sources who carry many colours.

Good luck with your search.

Raise turkeys! 😝 Sorry just had to. You could raise different breeds and probable get those two colors off them naturally though...

For bulk pricing you're going to need to go wholesale - then you'll be buying maribou by the pound - no problem.... At the one ounce at a time level you're going to be hard pressed to find much cheaper than you already have... As you can guess any shop will have their prices set at roughly double what they paid for the material.... Years ago, before I converted to wholesale purchasing, I was able to occasionally find some real bargains at big fly fishing or fly tying shows - usually on the last day of the show when booths were beginning to pack up for the run home - but that's the only real break I ever found on materials (and I was willing to "buy it all" if I could get a price...).

Chris, like the Captain says wholesale will be the best price point but.. usually you will need a business and tax ID and need to meet minimum order requirements, additionally you may find yourself grading materials and trying to offload material you don't like, but paid for. Good reason to start attending shows and selling your bargain bin items or if you can afford to you can raffle at local club meetings if they will allow it (donate to club for write off or 50% - 50% to club) in my past experience, without opening a shop, business, or commercial / custom tying, $8 an oz. for quality material dyed in a color I like is not a bad price.

You might want to give the Theriaults a call. I've dealt with them quite a bit, and they're a first-class outfit. They don't have an online catalog, but they'll send you a free printed one if you ask. You can probably work something out with them, and their prices are about as good as you'll find.

http://www.theriaultflies.com/contactus.html