Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Those throwing articulated streamers for trout

For those of you throwing articulated flies for trout,

1. what diameter tippets are you using?
  2. level or tapered: self made taper or purchased?
  3. average length of your leader in clear waters.

Finally making it out for my first cast this season on a loch with a decent head of 3lb+ fish and planning to go all out streamer. Hopefully wet some swap flies that have been neglected for a too long.

Typically when trout or any fish hit a big streamer, they are so focused on the fly that you can fish a very short/heavy leader.

With a sink tip line, I will fish a 2-3' section of 10lb floro.

When I fish a floating line, I build a 9' leader that will taper down to 6lb and fish weighted flies.

The water I fish is usually moving fast, I would change it up in slow or still water that is clear.

Best of luck! Big flies are fun.

-Karl

I run a 7-9 ft leader like 2.5-3 ft of each material 20lb mason, 20 pound maxima, 2x tippet. Works well for me if I need something finer on the end I just add another section of tippet. I usually fish a floating line or use a section of versa leader of I use versa leader I shorten it, if I use a full dinking line I keep it the same.

In the past I have built short tapered leaders for use with sinking leaders or sink-tip lines. They typically consisted of 24" of 20 lb., 12" each of 15 lb. and 12 lb., and 18-24" of 10 lb., all Maxima Ultragreen.

This year I think I'm going to just try 48" of 10 lb. fluorocarbon and be done with it. I don't really see the need for a tapered leader when throwing big heavy and/or wind-reisistant flies that are just going to be slapped on the water anyway.

On floating lines I would go with a 6' - 7.5' knotless mono leader tapered down to 2X or 3X for bass; for trout, I'll start with that, but if I don't get strikes after the first half hour or so I would switch to a 9' 2X or 3X.

I'm planning to go with 10lb maxima too. Its due to be windy and may step up to some orvis super strong in 16lb which is stiffer.

Straight 10lb to 12lb maxima about 2ft long is all I use with big streamers on a sink tip. The fish will attack from behind when you are actively stripping streamers so no worries about line shy fish when fished that way.

I'm with most others on this, I use 2-3 feet of straight tippet, 2X or sometimes 10 lb Maxima. I use sink tips or sinking poly leaders almost exclusively, no mono leaders, and I fish some extremely clear spring fed rivers with no worries about my tips or tippets scaring any fish.

Well if you would like my $.02 I use a 3 to 5' leader. I have used both knotted and straight. I do like knotted better. Either 25/15/10 or 30/20/15. The main thing I watch is the line diameter. Not to drop to far pat .o3. I use a large look in the end for easy changes.

Kevin

Hi Kev, you simply thread loop through eye, over fly and pull tight?

I will have some stiffer material with me if the wind makes turnover difficult and will make up a tapered leader but hoping to keep it all simple and level.

I will have some stiffer material with me if the wind makes turnover difficult and will make up a tapered leader but hoping to keep it all simple and level.

Yes that's the plan. Streamers are my thing so I have tried many different leaders.

Kevin

Yes that's the plan. Streamers are my thing so I have tried many different leaders.

Kevin

Do you find having the loop that bit larger works similar to a rapala knot and helps with wiggle?

Even a big streamer really does not require a taper to turn over a fly. While a straight leader works, I tend to use still upper section of 12# Maxima, and a tippet of something appropriate for the target species, anywhere from 6# to 10#. If I need heavier, I tend to just use straight fluorocarbon, but I don't often fish heavier than 10# tippet. First 4' are 12#, last 2' are lighter fluorocarbon, and I find loop knots to be helpful, but have not found that the size of the loop matters much.