Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ginormus1

Fly line choice

Hey guys! I'm looking to get a 3wt 6'6 rod soon to use for tight mountain streams with 6-8 inch brook trout and I'm wondering what line would be best? I'm not sure if there is a specific line for this sort of thing or if I should just get any old trout line. I will very rarely be casting over 25-30 feet with this set up so I don't think I really need any of that new shooting head bla bla bla line that cost that costs almost $100 buck but again I'm really not sure. What fly line do you think would be best for this sort of thing? Thanks!

Here in UK I use one of Mike Barrios lines on my #3. Lovely line and sensible price. Not sure how they compare when converted to dollars.

If you plan on fishing flies, #10 etc then you might want a line that has specific taper to help but I only go up to #14 on my #3 and it manages fine.

Just a +1 for the Barrio. I use a GT90 on my 3wt. It is worth mentioning that the price includes worldwide shipping.

Cheers,

C.

For small stream fishing, you might want to go "old school" and consider a double taper line - the advantage (besides being able to make nice roll casts) is that the line can be reversed - effectively doubling it's life.

Small mountain stream brook trout fishing is on par with panfishing in that they are more hungry then shy. I'd buy the cabelas brand line and not overthink it.

I've used Cabela's on my trout stuff for close to two decades. Watch the bargain cave, as it goes on sale for a great price from time to time.

Just picked up an Allen ATS line for my 2 wt, and like it.

Echo Sphere is another good one.

Basically, to answer your question, get any old trout line. No need for special tapers, etc. for those little fish.

Watch Sierra Trading Post for deals. They always seem to have great prices on lines.

For a rod that short and light, and intended for close in casting, I'd go with a double taper or a WF with a long front taper, especially if you think you'll be doing a lot of roll casting.

I have the bass pro journey man on my 4wt if you decide to go with a wt forward line it works well, my only complaint has been when fishing warm ponds in 95+ it gets sticky but you won't have that problem.

Oh yea what islander said about Sierra trading post to great deals there when they have what you want.

Consider that line weight designations for fly rods generally (there is no industry standard) indicate line weight that loads the rod properly with thirty feet of line plus your leader past the fly rod tip top. If you’re going to fish consistently below thirty feet, the short length of three weight line beyond your tip top may not load your rod adequately. Before you purchase the three weight line, borrow a four weight line from a friend and give it a try on stream.

Risen Fly makes a good line for only $27. I've used several of them with no problems at all. If you're into funky colors, Shadow Fly Fishing has 32 different colors that you can select up to 3 for your line. $30 base price and $10 to add another color. I should have a red 8 wt line from them in the mail today for my Vapen.

I have a 6'6" rod that is loaded with the cheapest Scientific Anglers line I could find, but honestly if I were you I would go with the link Mike posted. I have cheap no name line on my 5 wt for bass and I have no issues. Especially for the short casts you have to make I don't really see a point in buying anything else. Besides I would not be surprised if all of the Lower end lines are manufactured in the same few factories anyway.