Fly Tying
breambuster

Ultimate Challenge - Your Greatest Nightmare Fly Swap

BB,

Could I substitute deer belly hair in the place of the select cow elk? I've already got the belly hair from tying bass bugs and I don't see select cow elk on the site I like to order from. Other than that I have or can get everything else.

BB

Count me in if there is still room.

Since the last swap I have been working on a Musky pattern. No way im tying a dozen of those babies for a swap, I have wanted to tie up some muddlers or i have been collecting the materials for a cool crease fly. I am open to any patter you would like to assign me.

Thanks,

Joeh

BB,

I would like to join. I will be diving in over my head with a Goddard's Caddis. A pattern I failed to execute in the past to any standard of competancy. Everyone be prepared to receive a pile of clipped deer hair and hackle roughly representing a hairball left by a cat.

Stilis

Wmw4, Yes, please, don't go searching for cow elk. Use deer hair. There isn't all that much difference between elk hair and deer hair, anyway, except the color and if you're using dyed hair, what's the difference? Elk hair may be a bit more course and it may not flair quite as much as deer hair, so you may need to watch for that. Otherwise, it shouldn't make any difference.

Joeh, I am really glad that you've decided to join us. For this one, I think I'll ask you to do the Muddler for us. Before I say that for sure, what size will the Crease Fly be? Are we talking bass or saltwater sizes or trout sizes?

Stilis, It's really good to have you join us also. I've admired your tying ability in the past and so I'm looking forward to seeing your work on this one. Since you admit to struggling with a Goddard Caddis, that's what we will go with for this one. It's time to make the fur fly!

Only 3 slots left. Better grab one while you still can, guys.

Take care

BB

Since things are looking pretty trouty... I'm not sure this is a nightmare, but I don't think I've ever tied a legit hopper pattern. I'm going to look for one that looks fun and challenging. suggestions welcome.

Hazathor, it's really great to have you join us. If you want a hopper pattern, I think I'll assign you the "Dave's Hopper." That's the way this swap works. You name the problem and I assign the pattern. Let me know if that works for you.

Here's a link.

Take care

BB

I would take suggestions on size. Craven's site puts the range at #4-12. I was thinking #6, bigger would be easier.

BB:

The crease is probably a little large at 1/0. I am good with the muddler.

Joeh

I hope your daughter makes a fast and full recovery! I tie a lot of Classic wet flies and catskill style drys. I also do a lot of streamers. I actually have two different nightmares. One is a fly type and one is a material. Either one would work for me. I have almost no experience with nymphs. If the trout are down and feeding on them, I will try a wet fly or a wooly bugger. I understand the proportions of the dry and wet flies, but when I go to tie a nymph, I always fear that I will just end up with a random pile of materials on a hook. (Cathie told me my nymphs look like I dipped the hook in glue and swished it through the wastebag under my vise!) I can do the really simple stuff, but I tend to avoid any nymph pattern that has legs, casings, or more ingredients than a bugger. Someday, I need to take the time to figure out a pattern and tie a dozen or so that all look similar and all match a real insect. The material that scares me off is squirrel tail. With all of the tying I have done, I still balk at tying it. When I was in Middle School, we had a 4H show for the Bicentennial. I tied a fly with squirrel tail wings. I had tied hair wings, but Squirrel was a bit beyond my capability at the time. It didn't "lock down" like other hairs, and I tied one huge clump on the top of the hook and trimmed it too closely. A woman acting as a judge (Who had never seen a fly in her life) picked it up to look at it closely. All of the hair popped right out when she handled the fly and got all over her white dress. You would think I had ruined the entire County Fair and probably cause the entire nation to regret ever lasting 200 years. She threw such a fit that it still raises an eyebrow when it is mentioned today, 40 years later. I have only used squirrel begrudgingly ever since.

Either one would be a fair nightmare and if there is a nymph pattern with squirrel hair, I will have to adjust my bench to let me tie in a fetal position! No matter what you choose, I will have great fun with this! Thanks for hosting this swap. It will be great to get into a swap after all of these years. I used to do a lot on the other forum, but they seem to have dried up.

Thanks again,

Dave

Dmanley, welcome to the swap and to the site. You have fallen in with a great group of guys (and a few gals). And, man, do I have the perfect fly for you, and it's one of my favorites. It is, are you ready for this. The Red Fox Squirrel Nymph! Here's a video that will give you a materials list and will show you how to tie the fly.

And I'll tell you about some of the variations I make to this basic pattern. For trout, I would tie the fly pretty much as in the video, except that I've never used the ribbing that he uses. I would use either a fine gold wire or gold or pearl Krystal Flash. Probably 2 strands for a size #12 and larger and one strand for anything smaller. And my first choice for the hackle would be Hungarian Partridge but I would not hesitate to use the hen hackle as in the video. For warmwater flies, I would lose the lead wire and the hackle, throw on a bead head and finish the fly with rubber legs right where the abdomen and thorax meet. But since all the other flies, so far, are trout patterns, you might want to go with the trout version. I also use the SLF dubbing that you saw in the video, and only use the skin for the material for the tail. On the skin, the back of the squirrel is the color for the thorax and the belly of the squirrel is the color for the abdomen. So, if you don't mind picking out some of the guard hairs and dubbing with the under fur, mostly, all you need is the skin. Red Fox Squirrel skins aren't expensive and you can find them at most mail order sites (which is what I do) or you should be able to find them at any well-stocked fly tying materials shop. Take a look at the video and tell me what you think. And the most important thing is, if you have ANY questions, do NOT hesitate to ask. Since you're new to the Forum, you may not know about the PM feature. (Personal Message) If you will right click on my avatar, a new page will open and on the right side, middle of the screen there are several options including "Send Me A Message." Click on that, put in a Title and compose your message and send it. I will get an email that you have sent me a message and I usually look at emails several times a day. Welcome again, and have fun.

Take care

BB

Thanks! I am looking forward to this challenge. That is a nice looking pattern. I will call up the shops in Grayling and see if either of them have a skin in stock. I will probably make a run up there right after the weekend. If they don't have it, I have found a couple of places online that have it. I showed this to a friend, lamenting the fact that the Golden Stone we have in Michigan is the Giant one and tends to be tied on size 6 hooks or so. He suggested tying it in a smaller size (12 or 14) and using it during the little yellow stone hatch with either pale orange or yellow thread. It's not exact, but a couple of the locals have tried it with grizzly or white lace hen hackle or light Hungarian partridge. My neighbor has used the bead head version with and without rubber legs. I'm probably going to heed your advice and keep it simple, but with the Hungarian partridge, or a similar soft feather for the hackle.

Thanks again for the fun challenge.