Fly Tying
breambuster

Ultimate Challenge - Your Greatest Nightmare Fly Swap

Wow, GP Flyfisherman! Great work! That looks like you're a master of CDC. Tie 11 more and we'll call you the champion!

BB

After re-reading a PM from Dorado, my understanding is that he is joining and will be tying a Black Ghost streamer. Welcome aboard, Dorado. I'm looking forward to seeing your tie.

There is only 1 (ONE) spot left! Who wants it?

BB

Guys, I have a question for all of you. I have had several people to say that they would join the swap, but the due date is too soon. Would anyone object if we moved the due date from June 30 to August 15? Let me know.

BB

OK. here's the next little problem, guys. While waiting to find out about signing up one swapper, 2 guys who I have talked to in the last few days have said that want to join. That means that instead of 13 swappers, we now have 14. I'm cutting off the swap right now. But each of you will need to tie 13 flies and you still won't get back one of your own. But since we've extended the due date, tying one more fly shouldn't be that much of a problem. I hope that is OK with everyone.

Thanks

BB

OK. Atxdiscgolfer, I'm going to assign you the RS2. It's not a difficult fly, but it does have a split microfibbetts tail. Here is a link to a video showing how to tie it.

And here is a second video showing a number of techniques for working with microfibbetts.
Play around with the string technique and the dubbing ball technique because they both achieve the same purpose, split microfibbetts tails. In addition to the video, you can tie on just 2 microfibbetts and use the loop of thread as in the video to split them. Of you can just leave an extra long tag when you tie on and cover the hook shank with tying thread. Stop at the rear of the hook, tie in your tails and then use the extra long tag to come back up the shank between the tails and hold the tag in place with a couple of thread wraps. If you don't like the RS2, let me know and I will come up with another pattern. In fact, any Dry Fly pattern could be tied with microfibbett tails. So if there's something else you want to try, let me know.

Take care

BB