Fly Tying

I noticed Fly Tyer's website featured Cicadas and I recall years ago tying some years ago. I sent them, and a few others, to a company in Africa that sold to Orvis and others to see if they would tie several dozen for my fly shop. Maybe they thought it was not profitable because I never heard from them. Anyway here is my hair pattern. I also tied a synthetic wing material but sold and gave away all of them by accident. Maybe I'll tie some again and post the picture here. I was wondering if others here have tied them. People told me they were delicious but I could never get one in my mouth. Dogs like them. My pheasants and chickens did too. The were super large hatched and left holes all over the yard when they emerged. They were ]he red eyed species called the 17 year locust. post-1681-0-93735900-1494810075_thumb.jpg

People told me they were delicious but I could never get one in my mouth. Dogs like them. My pheasants and chickens did too. 1252178227_cicada.jpg

I've eaten them. I wasn't a fan. They're just fat pills so, to me, they tasted like rancid pork rinds.

Really cool pattern. I'd like to try tying it sometime. And those Magicicada are awesome. I still have some from the last hatch here that I need to pin.

Way back in a "previous life" while stationed in Utapao, Thailand, I tried a "rice bug"...

tasted sort'a like fermented liquorish...

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt... I'll pass on Cicada... Thanks' ;)

F70A0942_zpshxa92dbj.jpg

F70A0944_zpsjtxyocez.jpg

Planning a trip to NC for the cicada hatch, so I've been tying some. Came up with this one from two double barrel popper bodies. Coated with epoxy, so I'm hoping it is more durable than the normal foam ones I used last summer.

04B6CAA1-C96D-4D37-B18D-7907D902188F_zps

9CD58A0B-7B03-4B9F-A60D-767E18E295E9_zps

i have never seen a cicada on the water...but are the wings not splayed out to the sides not folded back..kinda like a henshall bug?post-55674-0-58410000-1494860608_thumb.jpg

i have never seen a cicada on the water...but are the wings not splayed out to the sides not folded back..kinda like a henshall bug?

Yes, they typically are. But the fish don't care... Tied them both ways last summer, but it made no difference

I heard Cicadas are good if dipped in chocolate but I would still know it is there. In Alaska, they dip Moose droppings in chocolate and sell them in bags at many stores see pic). They are called Chocolate Covered Moose Nuggets. Sourdoughs (considered a seasoned experienced Alaskan - usually takes 10 years) get a kick watching Cheechakos (new comers) eat them. We usually tell people what they are before they swallow just to see their reaction while spitting them out. They say it is taste like saw dust. Likely because they eat shrub and tree branches and look like compacted saw dust. :-). Cicadas are not in Alaska, as far as I know. I've only seen Cicada floating alive near the heavy hatches of 17 year locust, in the lower 48 States, but even then there are not enough to normally trigger trout to selective feeding. I would fish them with movement similar to what you would a Caddis hatch, only wiggling, not skimming. They just look like a mouthful to a big lazy trout. Anything similar in size, with proper movement, Cicada present or not. Just like hoppers. Tying look alike Cicadas is just fun to do regardless. Never seen Cicadas or Hoppers on the water in numbers large enough to trigger selective trout but are good for random feeding in my opinion. post-1681-0-15258000-1494879448_thumb.jpg

mouse man., i bet it makes a big difference in casting...lots less wind resistance when folded back...btw, i really like your mices.

mouse man., i bet it makes a big difference in casting...lots less wind resistance when folded back...btw, i really like your mices.

Thanks. A little better for casting maybe, but didn't make much difference. You want to be throwing a 7+ wt ideally for carp on the cicada, so that size rod has no problem carrying a cicada.