Fly Tying

Hey guys, so I wanted to get everyones idea's on this video. I was thinking of doing this for more species... Obviously some of you will have different idea's on which flies I should have chosen. Maybe next time I should do some "honorable mentions"? Just to say what other flies are good as well in those categories? I thought with the trout flies I should choose one dry fly, one nymph/sub surface, and one streamer. Let me know what you guys think about the video...

The best fly patterns are the ones that are the most versatile. Ones that can mimic many types of forage. Trout flies are no different. You can be out on the water and all of a sudden, out of no where, you notice that the trout start rising to the surface, or stop coming up for mayflies and go deep. Conditions change, and you don't want to be caught off guard. Its important to have flies in your box that can cater to a wide variety of conditions and techniques for when those unexpected changes happen.

I have picked 3 flies that I feel will allow you to fish pretty much any situation presented to you. If you have all 3 of these flies, they will cater to anything the trout throw at you.
My dry fly pick is the adams, a wonderful and amazing dry fly pattern that really can cater to any dry fly fishing situation. Ive used smaller ones for midge imitations, and larger ones for mayfly. You won't easily find a rising trout that won't eat an adams.
My nymphing pick is the zebra midge. Midges are probably the most important and common food source for trout. They are in almost all rivers throughout the world, and trout never stop feeding on them. Even when all else shuts down, trout will still occasionally sip up a midge when it drifts past their nose. They cannot resist it. This is why the zebra midge is probably the most important and versatile nothing (sub surface) pattern. It can mimic midges, but it will also mimic other aquatic bugs when tied in different sizes and color patterns. Its also very easy to tie, so you can make up a few hundred in an afternoon.
My streamer pick is the wooly bugger. This is probably no surprise to most of you. The wooly bugger is well known as a very versatile fly. One that can be fished in many different ways, tied in many different colors, and for many different species. Try fishing a smaller bugger by dead drifting it by a trouts nose. They won't say no to that meal. Or to cover more water, you can swing it through the current. You can also strip it through slow moving pools. It really is probably the most versatile fly ever created. In all honestly, if you could only pick one fly, this would be the best bet. Ive even used the bugger as a dry fly once, when I forgot to bring my dry fly box with me. So it really is the most versatile fly ever made.

Actually, I didn't watch the video. I know, my bad. What I'm thinking though is in 4:33 you only had time to do what you did in the text and tell (and show) us your choices. How 'bout expand that video and combine it with a tutorial on actually tying the flies? That would be cool. On the wooly bugger, if you cut the tail off a small one, grease it up a bit, you have a Grizzlies Gnat. Good overall choice of flies for your vid though I personally hate wooly buggers for some reason and would only use as a last resort.

You would think 4 minutes is a lot of time to make a list... lol. If you watch it, you will see there isn't much time more for that. Probably with tying, 10+ minutes... but let me see what I can do in the next one, add some stuff like that, or try and shorten it a bit... thanks for the feedback.

I watched the video. I don't think you can title it top three trout flies since your not picking a top three but rather a favorite top, bottom and middle fly. No offense but your words sounded scripted and read from a piece of paper which slowed down the natural delivery. Good length though and I liked how you used the big brown in there.

I agree with PD about it sounding scripted. Having your thoughts written down is always a good move, but you shouldn't use it as a crutch. Don't be afraid too speak off the cuff a bit and mix it up. If it helps, record your dialogue in short little bursts a few to several sentences at a time that way you don't have to remember as much. Plus, If you mess up its no biggie. This might lead to more editing on the audio side of things, but editing is key to making good films no matter what they are about!

Good video overall though! The video editing was on point in my eyes.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will say it is tough to not sound scripted but I will work on it. Thanks! :)