Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jfinn

Firehole Sticks

Has anyone tied and fished with Firehole Sticks? What was your impression?

I have. Just recently ordered and received a few different sizes in #633, 839 & 419. Very impressed for hooks that were made in China. The 633 & 839 are a nice stout hook with a nice wide gape. The 419's are a lighter very nice wide gape dry fly hook. They all have an excellent black nickel finish and are needle point sharp. The wire that forms the eye is very well done with no gap and no sharp edges like on some poorly formed hooks. The cost is very reasonable also, $10 for 50 hooks. I ordered from their website directly. My order was processed quickly and shipping was quick and reasonable. I hope they add some more styles to their offering because I'm very satisfied with their product and will buy from them again.

So far I've only tied up some #12 march brown emergers on the 633. Very pleased.

IMG_5951s_zpsz0nobmr5.jpg

Have tied a number of their styles. Good strong, sharp hooks for small flies.

ive seen them advertised on instagram but i have never bought or used them

with the multitude of hook sellers offering the same style and quality from most likely the same asian hook manufacturer(s) at lower prices, thats what i'll usually buy

i'd go broke if i jumped on every new thing that comes out to the fly tying world

I haven't. They're barbless, hence, useless to me.

That is why I was looking at them, I've been using the orvis tactical hooks lately and jig hooks but at $9 for 25 this seems like a better way to go.

They are great hooks, crazy sharp and good quality. I have not rejected one yet, they have top notch QC. They are currently running another pre-launch event and you can pick up packs of 50 for cheap. Check out their website. Fireholeoutdoors.com

Best bang for your buck going on BL hooks!

-Karl

bc, are those actually made in Bozeman or simply done to order by one of the many Asian companies doing most of the hooks available today?

The package label says "designed in Bozeman, made in China. FWIW you would never know it. A top quality product.

@vicrider... @Don_P is correct, they are not made here in Bozeman, he has them made in china. He does label, box and look at every hook. He also looked at a bunch of manufactures before he selected one.

I haven't tried them, but I'm glad I finally clicked on this thread and thus took a look at their site. Prices are competitive, and I really like the hook designs. I will probably give them a try the next time a slot runs dry in my hook box.

And, just to balance out Mike's comments, I would buy them because they're barbless. :) :)