Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Zimmy

Tenkara

I'm not an expert in fly fishing, tenkara, or any other part of fishing but this argument reminds me of something Bruce Lee said about jeet kune do:

"Let me remind you Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back."

Whether something is fly fishing or not can be argued to death but, ultimately, it doesn't really matter, does it? You could call it ribbon twirling but the result is the same (hopefully)....a fish on the end of your line.

Way too many technical things IMO. Anything scrutinized under a microscope can be questioned. As I said earlier it is all up to what each person views as fly fishing. And for me I do not view it as such, just my views plain & simple. No need to agree with me I'm just answering the question that was asked earlier about what is fly fishing. If someone feels it is fly fishing then more power to'em doesn't bother me in the least to each his own and all that good stuff ;)

I think ( correct me if I'm wrong ) the main issue is paying $300+ or- for what is basically a high dollar cane pole. Is it fast. slow, moderate or...actually doesn't matter because it's only carrying enough line to flip w/o a reel.

Fly casting is an art that sometimes takes years to fully develop.

Fishing with a fly or say a jumbo fly for a snook doing the splatter pole method is not fly fishing by any stretch of the imagination but done with a very long pole and wiggled on the surface ( w/o a reel needed ) until getting slammed. I don't think IGFA has a category for such a method of angling. FUN & Exciting? Absolutely, but....not fly fishing!

Conclusion: This is "Fly tying forum" and if you tie flies for your fancy cane pole then by all means go for it!

Wonder what game wardens would say about a Tenkara rod or a spinning rod with a bubble and a fly on "Flyfishing Only" water?

Rick

Wonder what game wardens would say about a Tenkara rod or a spinning rod with a bubble and a fly on "Flyfishing Only" water?

Rick

Tenkara is allowed on every fly-fishing only waters that I know of. A bubble, not so much.

Here in NC, as long as you are fishing with a single hook, artificial fly, it doesn't matter what pole you are using. It's seen as a lure restriction.