Fly Tying
kevin2

Mouse pattern tail options THAT don't soak up water

I am going to try and tie some mouse patterns for next months trip. I'm trying to use materials that won't soak up a lot of water. The tail section examples I've seen all use rabbit or squirrel that is zonked. Figure there has to be another option that won't be as likely to soak up to much water.

Thanks!

Kevin

I've never tied mouse patterns but I wonder if you could use a piece of leather shoelace like the type that comes on topsiders?

Lots of patterns with nylon cord, leather strips, suede strips and my favorite, the Moorish Mouse style ... zonker strip with the fur trimmed off except at the end.

moorish mouse tail.jpg

From online ... not my fly.

I've been using ultra chenille the last few years for tails and ears. This is what Chris Helm used and is also the material in those pre-cut Cohen creatures and frog legs. This material sheds water and won't dry up and get crusty like suede or leather

purplegreyrat_zps5dz7pt4z.jpg

I thought about something like that too. I thought soaking it in Snow Seal of something like that.

Spray the tail material with scotch guard.

How's the action on that tail in the water? Is it a plastic of some sort? Looks like that might be worth giving a try.

Kiley's Mice Bitz. I use 'em and love 'em.

43B6EE20-EC83-4D62-921E-E0C5BCC837E0_zps

I have tied them with a piece of 2mm tan foam as the tail. The tail does not foul, soak up water or sink. It does not move as much as some other materials, but pulling one across the surface throws a nice wake. The tail being visible in the silhouette is more important to me that the movement. Give it a try and see if you like it.

That is worth a try too. I saw this tail via the Kiley's suggestion above, but it is just a tail only kit. I'm ordering those for sure. Lots of action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRmc-aZLfes

here on a worm pattern COULD easily make that into a mouse pattern I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsKAdwftuY4

I have tied them with a piece of 2mm tan foam as the tail. The tail does not foul, soak up water or sink. It does not move as much as some other materials, but pulling one across the surface throws a nice wake. The tail being visible in the silhouette is more important to me that the movement. Give it a try and see if you like it.