Fly Tying
feathers5

Fly Tyer's Dungeon

Woo hoo! I hope FTD watch the video to see how happy I am with what I got. I will be feature tier at my club next week.

Woo hoo! I hope FTD watch the video to see how happy I am with what I got. I will be feature tier at my club next week.

I really like FTD but I've been hesitant to order the baitfish box. After watching your video I'm seriously thinking about it. I don't tie many baitfish yet but that thing looks like a great excuse to start.

Its great stuff, reasonably priced and he creates some truely unique dubbing too. Keep an eye out for closeouts and sale items. Its a way to get years worth of materials for short money His videos are great too!

Its great stuff, reasonably priced and he creates some truely unique dubbing too. Keep an eye out for closeouts and sale items. Its a way to get years worth of materials for short money His videos are great too!

I have been tying some flies for a trip later this week down to Louisiana for redfish. Decided to come up with a crab pattern using his sand crab dubbing in the blue crab color. No idea if it will catch fish, but I think it looks relatively crabby.

full-82899-172148-ftd_crab.jpg

Also, I just picked up some of the bulk dubbing packages he is selling on the front page of his website for $2.50. They are are huge amount of dubbing compared to the regular packages. He says they are about 5 times as much dubbing and I would agree completely, maybe even arguing they were a bit more than that.

Also, nice video Chia. I am still trying to get the amount of hair right on my baitfish flies. I always start off strong and then finish with way too much. Just takes practice.

Unless the fish are crustacean intolerant your fly should garner interest.

I'm curious how you achieved your results. Just received some sand crab dubbing and my first attempts aren’t thrilling. A bit too unruly. Did you tie the dubbing on like EP fibers, then hold the “legs” up to trim? Would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Hey guys im new here and also recently discovered FTD. I have to agree with everything you guys are saying. I live in FL and his dubbing works awesome along with his legs.

post-61818-0-74330800-1501640372_thumb.jpg

I researched a little about FTD and decided to buy the $25 Fly Tyers Box to test out a variety of products. I got a TON of materials for the price and am really excited to try them out. The quantities are big and the prices are low. Now to test them out!

I'm curious how you achieved your results. Just received some sand crab dubbing and my first attempts aren’t thrilling. A bit too unruly. Did you tie the dubbing on like EP fibers, then hold the “legs” up to trim? Would appreciate any advice you could offer.

I tied it in like you would EP fibers on a Tarpon Toad. I lined the dubbing up as much as possible before tying it on so there wasn't any trimming required. I think I tied it in in three bunches, each a bit smaller around in diameter than a pencil. Good luck! The weather is looking a bit dicey in the New Orleans area this weekend but hopefully we'll be able to get out at least one day.

Yes for sure. I just ordered some more yesterday...

ML good luck man, I've been wanting to do some kind of low country redfish trip for quite a while now

FTD water mix and Semperfli predator fibers are the EXACT same thing, I recently compared both side by side to people who have no idea about FTD and they couldn't tell the difference. Semperfli also claims theirs is the exact same as EP fibers which makes it obvious both EP and Semper most likely get their stuff from the mad scientist.

Thanks for the tips guys! Nothing gets me going more than some greedy individual trying to "cash in" on something because it is dedicated to fly tyers. I guess it goes back to my beginnings when fly tying material availability was few and far between - I would scrounge stuff from hunters and craft stores (of course these materials were very inexpensive if not free). These days, we have outfits like EP who want to charge outrageous prices for materials that cost less than the package the material comes in! Thanks to all for the endorsement of FTD - I am glad to know there is a reasonably priced alternative to some of the over-priced stuff out there for us.

I tied it in like you would EP fibers on a Tarpon Toad. I lined the dubbing up as much as possible before tying it on so there wasn't any trimming required. I think I tied it in in three bunches, each a bit smaller around in diameter than a pencil. Good luck! The weather is looking a bit dicey in the New Orleans area this weekend but hopefully we'll be able to get out at least one day.

Thanks for your reply, McKinneyLonghorn. The fibers in the large bag of honey crab dubbing are 1.5 inches and longer. Looks like I’ll need to trim and arrange them to get the same look as yours.

Hope the fishing was good in LA.

Thanks for your reply, McKinneyLonghorn. The fibers in the large bag of honey crab dubbing are 1.5 inches and longer. Looks like I’ll need to trim and arrange them to get the same look as yours.

Hope the fishing was good in LA.

Thanks. The trip got rained out and rescheduled for September, so I am going to have to wait a bit longer to see how the flies work.