Fly Tying
DrippingSprings330

Moving from beginner's vise to a rotary vise

I bought an expensive true rotary vise because I thought it would make me a better tier, but it hasn't. I freely admit that I don't use the rotary feature much, but when you need it, it's a very handy feature. Like for Clousers. I own other vises not because I want to show off or because I'm wealthy (not) but because I like vises.

Every vise I own is rotary, but only one is true rotary. I learned to tie on a non-rotary vise and fall back on the hook-holding necessity. I really enjoy tying on a Regal vise, although I can't say why.

I have two desks set up back to back and one holds the Renzetti, the other holds the Regal. I can't say I've ever regretted spending money on any vise or any material for that matter. While an excellent tier could use any vise, I'm not in anywhere that league and need something with a lot of hand room.

Here's another slightly contrary opinion.... as a guy who's been tying for more than forty years (and at least 30 of those years a commercial tyer - at times tying for three shops at the same time.....) all I've ever used is a relatively cheap, but very sturdy, simple fixed vise with heavy jaws... I think I may actually pre-date rotary vises since I don't remember ever seeing them until I'd been tying commercially for a while.

What really matters is how well a given vise holds the range of hooks you're working with and how quickly and easily you can adjust the jaws to set up for a particular run of flies in my opinion. Yes, I love to look at all those well manufactured highly engineered vises on the market and must admit that most of my contemporaries long ago made the switch - but I've never felt the need...

You know you're using your vise when you're doing 100 of a single pattern before moving to the next pattern in the order.... Yes, I'm a saltwater tyer and must admit great admiration for anyone working with tiny bugs... that's a skill I've never had....

I would say that the #1 vise used by demonstration fly tyers at the Badger Fly Fishers Spring Conclave and the Wisconsin State TU Banquet are Renzettis. Most will have a Renzetti Traveller which is what I suggest for you. Yes, you will pay more for a Renzetti but there are three benefits. The first is that you know you will always to be able to get parts and Renzetti will be in business in 30 years. The second is that Renzetti makes a full range of attachments, even unusual ones like a backdrop attachment or a C clamp laptop extension if you need one. The third is that you will get relatively more for a used Renzetti if and when you decide to sell it.

I have a griffin vise. It's not a true rotory. I rarely use the rotary feature. I like how one set of jaws holds a wide range of hook sizes. It holds the hooks tight enough where I don't understand why some vises have multiple jaws that must be swapped out depending on hook size. My only guess for this is money.

If you have been tying for a while, consider all of your options and don't be intimidated by the price of moderatly priced vises. After tying for more than 50 years, the money I spent on my vise (an HMH that went for close to $200 back more than 20 years ago) is a drop in the hat compared to what I have invested in hooks and materials. The vise is the center of your tying experience - make it a good, solid one and you will never regret it.

I started on a Griffin Spyder( not cam). It worked well but after tying for 30 min. to an hour my fingers started hurting. I switched to the peak, loved it!

I use a Renzetti Traveler, True rotary and you can add on the clouser arm. I have tied hundreds of dozens of flies with it and have been very pleased with it. they sell these days for about 150.00 to175.00

I have a Renzetti Presentation 4000 my wife got me 17 years ago. Beautiful vise, and machining. This past Christmas a buddy that is just starting to tie got a Peak. It's a great vise. Not quite as smooth, the machining not quite to the level of the Renzetti, but it holds a hook tight and easy to use. For 1/3 the price of my Renzetti it's a steal in my opinion. If I were buying a vise now the Peak would be my choice.

The best rotary vice in my opinion is the Norvise, I tie more flies faster on it than any of my other vices, (Petitjean Swiss Master, Dynaking Ultimate Indexer and Anvil Apex).

Saying that I do quite like the look of the Peak and prefer the look of it to the Renzetti's which seem too flimsy to me, especially the traveler.

I have to agree with Rob I bought my Norvise about 15 yrs. ago never regretted it . True rotary, made in the USA some parts even come from PA, life time warranty, only had one problem after about 12 yrs. Called Norm the owner and had a brand new part in 3 days.

The Norvise certainly looks good in the videos. I'm vice poor or I might consider one, in fact I did, but changed my mind. I'm not crazy about the lack of working area behind the hook for the tail, but Norm doesn't seen to have a problem.

I'm not big on spending money on a vice. But my rotary vise cost about $70. Tier McFlier Ireland True Rotary Vice. I'm very happy with it. If I was to buy on today.. I would go with the Griffin Odyssey Spider or the Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose. Its all in what you want to spend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fly-Tying-Vise-C-Clamp-Tier-McFlier-Ireland-True-Rotary-Vice-tool-for-tying-fly/252723145615?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D45561%26meid%3D01af834bea6940b393294610275bfdcb%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D252792822999&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I have several vises, rotary and true rotary. I tend to use different vises types of flies. I use an inexpensive Silverado for dries because it is comfortable to place my hand on the vise when tying.

Today my go to vise is a Griffin Montana Mongoose. Why the Griffin? Because most everyone I know uses a Renzetti and I wanted something different. I am very happy with the Griffin. I do take advantage of the rotary when applying body materials.

But I would like to have a Norvise.