Fly Tying
DrippingSprings330

Moving from beginner's vise to a rotary vise

I've just gone the other way. As I travel to shows to tie I became reluctant to trust my LAW to airport baggage handlers. Not because of the price they now fetch, but because for all intents and purposes it is irreplaceable. So that I didn't have to take the risk, last year I purchased a HMH. I'm really enjoying tying on it. I don't miss the rotary facility of the LAW., but the HMH does let me turn the jaws. I do occasionally use true rotary, but not that often.

Does this mean I'm regressing? None of my customers have spotted the change, so I guess it is all down to what you are happy doing.

Cheers,

C.

An expensive vise will not automatically make someone into a better fly tyer. And anyone who spends lots of money on their vise will never regret the investment nor will have remorse for their selection. The truth is that the vise has to hold the hook well, accomodate the tyer's hands, and have the features that aid in completing the fly. As for stationary/rotary/true rotary vises each extra feature seems to commend extra dollars in the price of the vise - the only real "feature" I can't live without is the ability to flip the fly over (to see the other side) while I am working on a fly. I have seen many people spend lots of money on true rotary vises but as Crackaig said, the true rotary function is rarely used.