Fly Tying
Saltybum

Jeff Creamer deer hair spook?

Recently I saw a video Jeff Creamer did on his spook and how he positioned the weights etc. but I'll danged if I can find it again. All I turn up is the short video of the water testing.

Anyone else know where his info is on this?

Jeff, you out there? I want tie one up and my longer shanks are already ordered.

Thanks

Try Google: Bobcat Hollow Fly Fishing / Tying: The Deer Hair Spook

I think thats what you are looking for - Its from June 13, 2016

Meeshka that's it! THANKS !

If I labor through one and a beer or two I'll post my results.

Man, I kept waiting for a big explosion on that video. That really looks good.

That video was shot in winter, basically. I just needed to see if it worked the way I intended.

The fly works, that's for sure. It walks just like a standard spook or walk-the-dog topwater. The key is in the weighting. I bought a conventional lure, tossed it in my sink and checked out the resting angle of that lure in the water. Then I temporarily weighted a deer hair version (using tungsten beads on mono tied around it) until I got close to that same resting angle. It needs to sit slightly tail-down at rest. Sam Looper (Looper Flies) sells them through his site, I have worked with Sam so he's tying them and weighting them the same way I do. He has clients catching stripers on them consistently. I'm in the odd position that I actually don't even fish large topwaters for bass all that often. I rarely have fished my own deer hair spooks. I have it on my list to scale it down to a more fishable size for me, just haven't done it yet.

Creamer,

When you do work up a smaller version for late evening smallmouth and LM, please post details.

Regards,

FKu

Interesting. I've done some deer hair flies. I'm just to OCD for them. I keep trimming and trimming to get it just right and end up with something not very fishable. I've "tied" up some foam ones. I've caught fish on the small ones but have never fished the big one.

post-309-0-24088100-1497625087_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-46077300-1497625105_thumb.jpg

hi cream, do you saturate the hair spook with some kind of water proofing? my hair bugs double in weight after a few minutes of fishing, i have actually weighed them...after a while it,s like fishing with a sponge.lol.

The video on the water just builds the hopeful anticipation of the explosion we all hope for no matter which species it is we are fishing for.

Me...it's jumbo sea trout or snook on the flats or a rare calm surf on the east coast. For me nothing is more exciting than that early in the morning when there is no ripple in the water except your lure doing it's enticing dance when all of a sudden a bomb goes off, sometimes only a few feet in front of you, sometimes leaving you standing there like a blubbering idiot having lost all composure not even knowing if the fish still has your fly in it's mouth or not for a second or two.

Yes, that's the rush we all lust for and I think the deer hair spook is just the pill for it. I've tied a few of the pole dancers and they work ok, but the spook, is well.....

So please, all the info on how to tie it correctly is greatly appreciated by me and anyone else reading this.

Thanks

Years ago I played around trying to come with a deer hair Spook but wasn't very successful few months ago I went back it and figured it out.. thought I came up with something new and posted about it but Jeff informed me he figured it out years ago..should have known.

This has the Walk the Dog action.

IMG_7437_zpsmeujv9ww.jpg

IMG_7434_zps2fsoyhll.jpg

Very nice Mike.

Thanks for the info on the lead wraps as well. I know from tying the pole dancer that getting the weighting and position are critical to getting the right action. How does the front hook perform as to just a single in the back?