Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
islander727

Do you see it, too?

There are no chickens in that picture.

Any other reference is a bit inappropriate, Kudu.

Really? it was a joke! Lighten up! PC sucks! You are not the only one with a sense of humor. No religious, political, or ethnic references were made. No one should've been offended and I don't need to be reprimanded or taken to the woodshed. Besides, I grew up when Princess Leia was every young mans fantasy.

I chuckled Kudu but I also value this forum as one of the last family friendly venues I come across on line these days. Horse for courses I guess.

I think if you could take one of those Orvis in house fly trainer rods and line and hook it to a taser so every time you got careless and threw a wind knot into the leader or allowed a tailing loop you'd get tazed. This positive reinforcement would soon have you casting like an instructor.

Sir ... I don't think you fully understand the concept of "Positive Reinforcement" !!!

A taser definitely does NOT qualify as "Positive Reinforcement" !!!

Mike is completely right according to my years at University... You describe negative reinforcement. Which can be useful at times.

I get the humor every-one is adding. It is pretty cool.

But i am serious...If someone can develop a serious interactive system that is close to fly-fishing (telling you when you miscast and stuff) it would be a great thing. I just have no idea how to even begin planning such a thing, much less build it. I would just want want mountain streams and lots of spooky trout...prefer brookies, bows and a few holds of browns.

Since we've gotten off track into the "Jedi" school of fly fishing (formerly known as "Zen") ... I think the best "feedback" system is already in place ... and everybody who wants to improve probably has access to a camera.

When I first started teaching ... I asked the school to provide a video camera for me. (It was a bit before the digital era became affordable)

I video'd several days of presentations. Then, watching those, I "critiqued" myself.

I am a firm believer, we are our own worst enemy, our own best critic. No one will be more honest with you about your failings than you.

If you're learning, set up a camera off to the side, then cast for half an hour or so. Don't stop after, say, 10 casts, and think you're getting a good representation of how you do. Go until you're "feeling" it. Give yourself enough time to weaken a little, to forget the camera is there and to get comfortable in the casting.

Then go watch yourself cast.

DrVette, golfers have hinged practice clubs that break at the hinge when the club is taken back or forward at the wrong angle, usually from breaking one's wrist, shoulder dipping, etc. The club basically goes limp telling the player they messed up. I'd bet someone could design something similar for fly casting, especially with things like breaking the wrist on the back cast, etc.

Actually i like that idea of a practice "rod". I built something vaguely along those lines from a broken boo rod and yarn. The yarn flies different and really makes you pay attention to your entire cast. And you can catch kitty cats around here.

But seriously, I like wii idea. All N64 added was a vibrating pack. When i had eye surgery (years ago) i spent several weeks playing Zelda. Kept going back to fish or shoot arrows. That was about 20 years ago. If some-one set-up streams, rivers, ponds and lakes with the newer capabilities it seems like you could make a great fly-fishing game.

It would help me since i can't really get out to the waters lately.

I think if you could take one of those Orvis in house fly trainer rods and line and hook it to a taser so every time you got careless and threw a wind knot into the leader or allowed a tailing loop you'd get tazed. This positive reinforcement would soon have you casting like an instructor.

Have a Practicaster & casting it's yarn would set the taser off every forward & backcast while recovering from the latest over stressed elbow. It just doesn't cast as well as the youtube video shows since can't get enough yarn speed. Now with a #3 weight fly line the electricity bill would be cut in 1/2 if not more thus saving taze for the fish fry......but as for building & design guess it'll take some of those that have made & stocked their very own trout stream where there was little or no water for fly fishing without crowds.