Fly Tying
vicrider

Wanna do the EuroOrBust swap...

please just give him my spot.

ill do a different swap later on.

i'm out. i need to get other projects done anyways

"Standing by mode" -

I'll throw my hat in the ring if someone needs to bail out of this swap.

I've a nifty Tinsel Tail Caddis pattern that has fooled a few trout.

Thanks flytyer, I'd take your spot but I thought Flat Rock Native has

taken it (bringing the desired count to 12 tyers).

If indeed that's the case, I'll still stand by for any others.

Since most of us have acknowledged we're okay with 13 come on in Hatchet Jack.

We'll let Flytier off the hook on this one though it's always a shame to lose his flies. Norm has taught me a lot of good things at the vise over the last few years and a couple that we should all learn are that most of us, especially early in the game, wrap a lot more thread than is needed on a material. twenty wraps on material that will be overwrapped with something else anyway is wasteful and only adds bulk where usually not needed. A couple of wraps holds material until next layer is put on. That and when something is going bad on a fly don't just continue and end up with a reject. Quit...back up...remove material if necessary...and do it right so fly finishes right. Thanks for the things and flies you've shared with me in the past Norm.

Vice,

Going to be tying two patterns for this swap, two each....march dry and nymph variations. On the dry fly I'll be using brown and grizzly hackle tied on to the hook first right on the eye and later tie back.I'll use brown tail and tan razor foam and light brown tying thread for ribbing. Both flies I use quit often fishing new areas And work great. The brown nymph I'll also be tying is weighted. I hope everyone will like them. Looking forward to this swap.

Best,

Brian

Nothing arrived as of yet. I'm about half way through my set. For being a relatively simple idea it is taking me a lot longer per fly than I would have ever thought it would. 'Course, part of problem is I get only part time to my tying desk these days with grandkids using that room. They head back end of month so I'll have house to myself for a couple of weeks and plan to take advantage of it. When I was a kid I knew grandparents were always glad to see us, and when I had my own I know Mom and Dad were always glad when we visited, but then I never realized how much old folks (me and wife) get set in our ways until we have between 2-5 grandkids here for the summer. 2 full time and 3 in and out but always here for supper.

One thing gripes me is that they're more interested in their phones and their tablets than they are in going fishing or for walks around the area sites. In a way I can't blame them since they show up just when our hottest weather hits and what time they do spend outside is limited or in swim pools. 100+ is tough on these old bones and I don't want to do much out there either. Just about the time they go back it begins to be tolerable again.