Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Sculpinstein

Sculpin are a very popular food source for trout, specifically steelhead and large brown trout. Basically any trout that has become predatory seeking out baitfish for food. They also work very effectively for smallmouth bass in rivers where there are sculpin. A very popular fly called the "sculpzilla" is one of the most effective streamer flies for big trout on large river systems where casting to shore and quick retrieves are key. Usually these are either swung in the current, dead drifted so it bounces off rocks and debris on the bottom, or quick retrieves to gain a reaction strike. I took some of the techniques of tying the sculpzilla, and added a little extra to make a fly I am going to call the Sculpenstein. Its sort of a sculpin, sorta a "thing" kinda like Frankenstein. This fly is awesome, and has lots of movement. It also rides hook point up which was something very important for me. The fish scull heads really do keep the fly from turning over, and being hook point up means it will be almost snag free.

Hook: Gamakatsu B10s - Size 2
Thread: UTC Ultra Thread 140 - Dark Olive
Tail: Magnum Rabbit Zonker - Olive
Flash: Gold Crystal Flash & Black Holographic Flashabou
Gill: Polar Chanille - Red
Collar: Blood Quill Marabou Feather - Olive
Weight: Fish Scull Head - Small/Medium in Brown

I didn't watch the tying part, as I don't tie with fish heads ... but I did like the movement in the tank.

BUT ... you need to clean that tank !!!

Sculpin are a very popular food source for trout, specifically steelhead and large brown trout. Basically any trout that has become predatory seeking out baitfish for food. They also work very effectively for smallmouth bass in rivers where there are sculpin. A very popular fly called the "sculpzilla" is one of the most effective streamer flies for big trout on large river systems where casting to shore and quick retrieves are key. Usually these are either swung in the current, dead drifted so it bounces off rocks and debris on the bottom, or quick retrieves to gain a reaction strike. I took some of the techniques of tying the sculpzilla, and added a little extra to make a fly I am going to call the Sculpenstein. Its sort of a sculpin, sorta a "thing" kinda like Frankenstein. This fly is awesome, and has lots of movement. It also rides hook point up which was something very important for me. The fish scull heads really do keep the fly from turning over, and being hook point up means it will be almost snag free.

Hey Sean ...What camera set up are you using these days ?

Interested ...Nick smile.png

BTW Nice video and tie ....fly moves well :)

I didn't watch the tying part, as I don't tie with fish heads ... but I did like the movement in the tank.

BUT ... you need to clean that tank !!!

Its a new tank setup, literally set it up the week prior. Hasnt even had fish yet. That white stuff is a bacteria bloom on the drift wood. It has already subsided in the tank, and all but completely come off.

I usually don't tie with fish heads either, well not up until recently. I got a box of them and liked them. If you want to tie it, just use dumbbell eyes, and it could work as well to keep the hook point up. Or, just don't worry about the hook point position, and use a cone head. Could work the same. If your interested.

Hey Sean ...What camera set up are you using these days ?

Interested ...Nick smile.png

BTW Nice video and tie ....fly moves well smile.png

The camera is a borrowed camera from my father. Sony A6000. Very good camera, but too rich for my blood. This is why its a borrowed camera. HAHA

Thank you, I like the movement as well, and the fish do also. Got a decent rainbow on it yesterday.